Question / Help Clean audio in, clipping audio out!?

JimDaneker

Hello, been using OBS for a few weeks now and feel like I've got it really dialed in for high-quality streams, with one exception: audio coming out of OBS (streamed and resulting recordings) are clipping, despite being totally clean on the way IN to OBS. I'm an audio/music guy and the whole point of my streams is to have great audio quality, so this has me stumped.

All my audio comes from Logic, including playback, live VO mic, etc. - and I'm peaking (with limiter for safety) at -1 dB. I'm using Blackhole to route Logic into OBS, and I've looked everywhere in OBS, but I'm not adding any gain or processing that I can find. Still, my streams and recordings are clipping on peaks, and it sounds awful.

Any ideas? I'm on OBS 25.0.7 as of now, but it's done this on previous versions as well. Thanks in advance! Here's my most recent stream if you want to hear an example: https://youtu.be/h-lNd2Kn9PE

JimDaneker

Update: after some more testing, it looks like OBS is adding around 6db of gain somewhere, but nowhere that I can find in any preferences or settings. This has me stumped. I suppose I can back off 6db in Logic, but I'd like to know that what I'm sending is exactly what my listeners are hearing...

RickD

Hello, been using OBS for a few weeks now and feel like I've got it really dialed in for high-quality streams, with one exception: audio coming out of OBS (streamed and resulting recordings) are clipping, despite being totally clean on the way IN to OBS. I'm an audio/music guy and the whole point of my streams is to have great audio quality, so this has me stumped.

All my audio comes from Logic, including playback, live VO mic, etc. - and I'm peaking (with limiter for safety) at -1 dB. I'm using Blackhole to route Logic into OBS, and I've looked everywhere in OBS, but I'm not adding any gain or processing that I can find. Still, my streams and recordings are clipping on peaks, and it sounds awful.

Any ideas? I'm on OBS 25.0.7 as of now, but it's done this on previous versions as well. Thanks in advance! Here's my most recent stream if you want to hear an example: https://youtu.be/h-lNd2Kn9PE
I am having the same/similar issue.. I have line in from my mixer via USB. All other audio inputs are muted. The mixer out to speaker/headphones/recording device are all exactly how I want them with absolutely NO CLIPPING (peak at 0db). OBS audio level is also showing the same peak levels BUT the sound is clipping (or static muffle type sound) if you listen to the output or the livestream.

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out! I have no filters added to the audio.

manifoldtheory

Yes I am having the same issue...currently having to reduce the audio so that it's below Yellow (-20db) otherwise it is clipping in the output stream/recording.... Really strange and frustrating...

JBL

Very interesting, and same issue here, new to OBS. OBS clips the sound on a stream at the audience listening point, whether it is vocal, video or music. If I play the same video, audio files or live vocal on Zoom, no problems at all, but playing the same file using OBS to Zoom causes clipping. Volume levels ok. Even clips at low volumes. Tried gates, compressors etc. Had to skip OBS today for a live event. Audio bit levels are identical throughout. I'm a 40-year vet to video, broadcasting and music. First app I have found that stumped everyone here.

Acial38

Same issue here, i try, change bitrate, output sistem, resolution, etc etc and nothings changue, im use a Xr 18 console