Question / Help Choppy recording on RX570 1080p 60FPS using VAAPI/FFMPEG

pathum

I'm on Solus linux and I used to record Dota 2 gameplays using OBS on my R9380 at 1080p 60fps
Recently I got a RX570 and recording at 1080p 60fps using VAAPI/FFMPEG causes a massive frame drop resulting in a choppy video.
1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps works fine. Switching to x264 works but that impacts my game FPS. I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16gigs of RAM and MESA 19.xx.
I've searched google and Phoronix forums for quite some time to no avail.
I'd greatly appreciate if someone could shed some light on this issue.
PS: I'll add a log file when im back home

CaffeinatedTech

Yeah there are a lot of reports of this. I'm not certain if there is a ticket for the problem on mantis. Searching vaapi doesn't bring up much.

Apparently if you use cli ffmpeg it works just fine, but somehow the way OBS initialises ffmpeg causes problems for us on AMD cards. I have an RX580 and can't encode 1080p60, I have to stream at 30fps.

I saw a couple of videos of people on Windows having similar problems, and reverting to older graphics drivers helped for them.

I think I saw someone mention they had a vega56 and it worked ok, I guess its just powerful enough to do it.

It'd be awesome if someone had a dig into this. I think GloriousEggroll has done some work on vaapi on OBS, but I think he has a vega64.

pathum

i havent been able to get the commands correctly for a proper FFMPEG CLI attempt. Usually there is some sorta error as my commands are incorrect everytime :(