Question / Help Changing video encoder

Adam P Fox

We are doing a point to point streaming using the UDP protocol.

mpeg2video are mp2 are old and inefficient

How do we change the video encoder to libx265 and audio encoder to AAC ?

obstest.png

Leeo97one

I don't really know what format is better or worse for streaming but you should try to use the default one.

psynaps

Bump. I was also trying to use the "Video Encoder Settings". What is the format? I understand ffmpeg well but I was not sure what the flag format is, for example can we use "-vcodec libx264" there?

Cheers.

Psynaps

Purpletalon55

tip, x265/h.265 is not something you want to use because it is all done on the cpu no GPU encoding yet from what ive seen, so that means its going to lag hard, takes a lot more time to encode, but mpeg 2 is still used by most tv stations and stuff because its very efficient, some use mp4, but its because its genuinely the best.

Reboot

You can not put all video codecs into all containers. The video and audio encoder choices are restricted to what the container supports. You can not simply override the choices by adding some custom options. Also custom options are for a specific muxer, video or audio encoder, they can not change which encoder is actually used.

If you want to stream to UDP you need a container that does not break when packets are lost. mpeg2ts is made for streaming, so i guess it should be fine. Containers like MKV and MP4 are made for storing videos in files, they contain header information that only appears once in a file, so they are not suited for streaming.

psynaps

You can not put all video codecs into all containers. The video and audio encoder choices are restricted to what the container supports. You can not simply override the choices by adding some custom options. Also custom options are for a specific muxer, video or audio encoder, they can not change which encoder is actually used.

If you want to stream to UDP you need a container that does not break when packets are lost. mpeg2ts is made for streaming, so i guess it should be fine. Containers like MKV and MP4 are made for storing videos in files, they contain header information that only appears once in a file, so they are not suited for streaming.

The mpeg2ts video quality looked great. I am worried about using mp2. AAC was neat because it seems to be less vulnerable to re-encoding artifacts, which is a nice feature for internet audio/video (considering how many times things can potentially be re-encoded, eg twitch -> youtube -> etc). So then, is anyone (or should we be) comfortable sending mp2 out to production?