Change sources with profile to avoid recreating them

Here's a (theoretically) easy to implement feature: sources are stored with the profile, so it's possible to record/stream different games just by switching profiles, so one profile can be Minecraft, and another Audiosurf or some other game, because OpenGL games require Monitor Capture, vs DirectX games that should be captured with Game Capture and the first world problem of having to recreate the sources all the time.

EDIT:multiple scenes do work, though I think this really should be part of profiles

ThoNohT

Developer
You could use scenes for that. Profiles are a way of allowing quick switches between settings, scenes are for allowing quick changes between sources.

Kharay

InsertUsernameHere said:
*opengl games in fullscreen?
Not a problem.

http://www.twitch.tv/kharay1977/b/430772313 -- PS1 emulator using OpenGL. And that was fullscreen.
http://pastebin.com/BqLSjTyr -- OBS settings, just to prove it was in fact fullscreen.

You don't even need a scene switcher to do that. All I did was that I set everything up with the emulator in windowed mode. Then closed the emulator, started streaming, started the emulator, switched it to fullscreen and ran the game.

ThoNohT said:
You could use scenes for that. Profiles are a way of allowing quick switches between settings, scenes are for allowing quick changes between sources.
Doesn't it make more sense to use just profiles to change the target process, settings, other game specific stuff, instead of separate profiles, AND scenes?

ThoNohT

Developer
While I must say, there are some proposed changes to how profiles work (that idea is not too bad, but imagine I want to create a new profile for another streaming service, I'd have to reconfigure all my scenes? Or add some scenes for multiple profiles, would I have to do that in all of them? Maybe an even different split is better, this isn't as trivial as you might think), the current distinction is pretty clear.

Scenes decide what you capture, so if you need something else for another game, you make another scene, or perhaps a scene for when not ingame. Profiles are just a way of naming and easily switching between settings. There's a reason why profiles are in the settings menu, they affect all the options in the settings menu.

Typically, switching profiles means switching some settings that require a stream restart, while switching scenes only changes the inputs, which can be done at will without having to restart the stream.

matheod

For me there must be a way to save/load scene, maybe not with profile.

You said, create one scene per game and just switch with the game you want. But it's only true if each game only use one scene.

Imagine I make stream on Game A and Game B.
For the Game A, I create my scenes :
The general scene where I show the game
The community scene where I show the chat and twitter feed.
The doc scene where I show wiki page and other help information.

Now, during my stream, I can switch beetween scene to show what I want to show.

For the Game B, I do something near (but with other windows, etc.).
But I have 6 scene now.

Imagine I have 5 games, it's 15 scenes ... not really easy to manage :/

Kharay

A lot easier to manage (and use) than having to separate those by profile. As was pointed out -- You can switch between scenes without having to restart a stream. You cannot do that with profiles. Nor will that be made possible. Which would make switching games during a live session really challenging in your suggested approach, in fact, it would be completely impossible to do.

The current approach is just fine.