Question / Help CHALLENGE: How to build a streaming box from scratch

Eros Peterson

Hello friends,

Long time, no post, yes I know and I decided to take a break from the video production world. Funny thing is, life always manages to bring me back to this place LOL.

In all seriousness though, here's the challenge I face... building a small form factor box whose only goal is to be a streaming box that runs OBS on Linux, uses the least expensive Blackmagic card that can accept (ideally) 2 HDMI connections and USB for a decent quality webcam or maybe a few (think Microsoft Lifecams) so you can stream an event to the web in an economical way. Lots of RAM and a basic monitor/keyboard setup so you can switch on the fly. No huge noisy fans for ventilation/cooling or something uber quiet so it's not noticeable of the unit is not far from where the broadcast is happening.

Recording to an external HD is always an option for later editing should it be needed.

Totally DIY, and cost effective is the goal.

Could it be done??? You tell me. I'm not an expert in building computer boxes... the gauntlet has been tossed down, who is willing to pick it up?

Aaaaand GO!

Cheers,
Eros

Harold

Recent i5 desktop system
i5 4690k or higher
Compatible motherboard (Z97-A for the above processor)
16GB of ram
450+W power supply
Blackmagic Decklink Duo2 (and there goes your budget)
128GB SSD for boot.

Eros Peterson

First, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

What about instead of a Blackmagic card, if I used a number of Microsoft Lifecams instead? How long can my USB cables be before I run into data loss/problems?

Regards,
Eros

Harold

I went with logitech c920s and I got 82ft.

The blackmagic card gives you 300ft+ on BNC connected coax and KM worth of reach if you use optic converters.