Capture Window Audio although System Sound is muted

chodid

Hey everyone,

before asking I want to show some gratitude. Thank you guys for putting in the time to make such an awesome and versatile program, I really appreciate that! Also: Thanks for all the Info in the Forum that, up until now, helped me solve all of the problems I ran into :).

I use OBS to record talks from online conferences when I can't attend or in order to view them again at a later point in time. The problem I have is, that if I mute the Computer while recording in order to not have the audio disturb other people, there is no more Sound arriving at OBS Studio. The only Audio output Source I can choose is the Standard "Speaker/Headphone - Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)", that probably gets fully muted by Windows.

Is there any way to solve this?

Best regards,
Philipp

Lawrence_SoCal

You may be confusing OBS audio output and an Audio Output used by OBS as an Audio Input.
For me, using OBS' Desktop Audio Sources (or any of the global default audio items only caused me issues). So I disabled all of OBS's default Audio Sources, and created a new, one, specific to my needs. You can then output that audio to the recording, but not route that audio elsewhere (ie computer speakers). Muting a speaker won't mute the input, usually... i think....
Maybe some of these article will helps

Audio related

chodid

You may be confusing OBS audio output and an Audio Output used by OBS as an Audio Input.
For me, using OBS' Desktop Audio Sources (or any of the global default audio items only caused me issues). So I disabled all of OBS's default Audio Sources, and created a new, one, specific to my needs. You can then output that audio to the recording, but not route that audio elsewhere (ie computer speakers). Muting a speaker won't mute the input, usually... i think....
Maybe some of these article will helps

Audio related

Thank you Lawrence, with Voicemeeter (Found in the "App-Volume-Device" Thread) I got it to work.
Fiddling around with this - in the end I realized, that the system volume controls directly affect the volume BEFORE sound gets channeled to the output device, not the volume that said device generates as an actual output. So the easier solution for me was to just plug in headphones that have an oldschool non-digital volume control and turn them all the way down.

Jozef972

Fiddling around with this - in the end I realized, that the system volume controls directly affect the volume BEFORE sound gets channeled to the output device, not the volume that said device generates as an actual output.
Thanks for this! I had exactly the same use case.
Plugging 3.5mm headphones did the trick.

Paulravi

This issue i have for a long time i found a way no need to plug headphone

Watch this video and do the exact same thing

it will definitely work

tmaddison

This issue i have for a long time i found a way no need to plug headphone

Watch this video and do the exact same thing

it will definitely work
Thank you!

I've been puzzled by this issue for some time. I have two machines, one running Win10 and one Win11. The Win10 one has always allowed OBS to record audio while the speakers are muted. The newer Win11 machine has always needed me to do the "plug in headphones" trick if I didn't want to have it blaring out audio while no one was watching....

This worked perfectly, appreciate the help!