Question / Help Capture mouse cursor option in Window Capture OBS Studio

Korlian

As the title says, it would be fantastic if able to capture the mouse cursor when using Window Capture. I sometimes stream creative work, and I only use Window Capture for that as I don't want to expose my desktop and other windows when tabbing around. The downside of this so far is that they do not see exactly what I'm working on for the most part. I'm really hoping this will be added at some point :D

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
OBS-Studio already has an option to capture the cursor in the window capture options :)

Korlian

Where? :O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 20.19.14.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 20.19.14.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 11,470

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
You posted in the OBS Classic forum so the assumption was that you're using OBS Classic and some version of Windows. The Mac version of OBS Studio doesn't capture the cursor when using a window capture source due to a limitation of MacOS.

Korlian

There was only one "Feedback and Suggestion" forum, may I suggest moving that one out of OBS classic then to avoid future confusion?

Thank you for clearing it up though.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
If you had posted in the Mac forum you would have seen an option to flag your thread as Question/Help or Feedback/Suggestion (in this case it would be the former, since this is an OS limitation and not a problem for OBS to solve).

Korlian

Alrighty cool, I'll know that next time thanks :D It wasn't exactly obvious looking at the categories listed on the front page that there was something like that hidden elsewhere.

Gnom

Hi!
Looks like it will be impossible to capture the cursor in the window capture mode... Is this an absolute dead end? Have workarounds like finding out the cursor's position and drawing some external image there been studied? That's the only drawback I found to OBS, especially when stopping the stream viewers can see the OBS window, other than that it's a great piece of software, thanks!

Gnom

Thanks for the suggestion, that's the workaround I found but it's not perfect, because when I'm done streaming I have to bring the OBS window on front and viewers can see it! It's a small issue though.

Gnom

Thanks for the suggestion, I somehow assumed that hotkeys would only work if OBS was the active application but if that's not the case that'd be perfect for me :)

Gnom

Forgot to test, but I found another way to avoid this trouble if anyone's interested : I keep the OBS window in the back and I click on the button so start/stop the stream while holding the "cmd" key, which doesn't bring the window to the front :)

sebseb

@Gnom, how do you keep the window in the back. If I put it in the back, I click on the top window, so it doesn't start nor stop recording. Besides the button is so small, that I doubt I'll be able to click on it. Isn't there yet another solution? Thanks in advanced.

kurbads

May I ask how does QuickTime record mouse and puts yellow circles around clicks? Can the feature somehow be "borrowed" from QuickTime?