Capture Card - Increase Gamma/Brightness

oRuin

I currently use a Black Magic Intensity Pro to capture external sources - Xbox for example.
There does not seem to be a way to increase gamma or brightness at all with this card.
Would it be at all possible to add a gamma adjustment for capture cards that have no way of changing these values?
My stream is very dark when streaming an external source, pretty much unwatchable if the game has a dark scene.

Thanks very much.

Keep up the good work!

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Most capture cards already have brightness/contrast settings in their config dialog, just click the "Configure" button next to the device you have select and take a look at the "Video Proc Amp" tab, which usually looks something like this:
video_proc_amp.jpg

I would at least be somewhat surprise if the BlackMagic cards do not have this.

oRuin

Sadly, The BMIP does not. When I click configure all I get is 'Audio format' and 'Video format'

configz.png

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Well darn, that sucks. Brightness/gamma might be somewhat easy to implement, but I really wish capture card manufacturers would not skimp out on their drivers like this.

oRuin

@Jim & co, would this be easy to implement? It's driving me nuts, having zero control over a capture card is awful. Black Magic never again :(

Tranquilite

Black Magic cards do have brightness control. I don't own a BlackMagic card any more, so I cant tell where exactly the setting is, but you may have to look in the BlackMagic control panel (located in the windows control panel) to find it. The setting isn't actually called brightness either, but in order to sound professional and techy they refer to it as signal gain (iirc).

Also I think they may only offer boosting the gain when capturing analog video (composite/component/svideo). If you want to make your HDMI capture brighter then you may be out of luck.

I think its kind of silly to have a completely separate control panel that isn't part of the directshow driver.

oRuin

Sigh.
Seriously, are BM dumb? You have zero control over this card. Again, would it be possible to add a gamma feature into OBS for zero-control cards like the BMIP, or is it impossible?

controlt.png

paibox

heros in an halfshel
While not impossible, it would take up dialog and code space for something that shouldn't be necessary. I really wish BlackMagic hadn't done this, because it really doesn't make any sense.

However, I will hold off on implementing this myself for a while, since there might be a post processing system upcoming in the somewhat near future which would make it easier to add effects such as gamma to just about any kind of source.