Question / Help Capture Application Window

makkofly

Hey everyone,

i've searched for this question but didn't found anything.
I'm pretty new to this streaming stuff but I want to stream some programming stuff in the future, i've tested it yesterday and had a problem, I had two window captures running of two editor windows in one scene, after rewatching the stream i noticed that one of the windows stayed on top of the others and nobody could actually see what I was doing.

Anyway, is it possible to capture just Application Windows or have multiple Window Captures in a scene and OBS always shows the one that is focused ignoring the order in the source panel?

Would be great if you could let me know :)

Cheers,
makko

Narcogen

If you're switching focus between two programs, you can make two scenes with the required sources, and tell the Scene Switcher to switch scenes depending on the active application.

I think you can do the same for different windows.

Narcogen

I'm looking at the available settings in Tools > Automatic Scene Switcher, which allows for switching to scenes based on the active window.

makkofly

Ok, I'm using that already to switch between my browser and my editor, the problem is that i've two editor windows and the scene switcher isn't showing both. It would be perfect if it could scenes depending on actual windows.

Narcogen

It can, but not if it can't detect the window. I think some kinds of windows (probably palettes and such) aren't treated the same by the system and don't show up in the window list.

Look at the Advanced Scene Switcher optional plugin-- it has settings for doing a switch based on cursor position. If you always keep your windows in the same position, that might work for you.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/advanced-scene-switcher.395/

makkofly

Obviously this seems to work different on windows as I have just seen a Video by somebody on Windows who can do the exact thing I want, so it seems on OSX Chrome and PHPstorm don't differentiate by their windows what is really sad :/

Edit: What confuses me a bit about it is that if I use "Window Capture" it shows different windows, I'm wondering why it doesnt in the Automatic Scene Switcher.

And I've tried Advanced Scene Switcher but it doesn't work as well for my Setup.

Narcogen

Window capture on MacOS works entirely different than it does in Windows because of differences in how the operating systems handle windows.

makkofly

Understand that but I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to implement the Window Share mechanics into the Automatic Scene Switcher so it would be possible to select by windows in there as well.

Narcogen

The Automatic Scene Switcher seems based on active application.

Advanced Scene Switcher does have a rule based on window name, though.

makkofly

Does it? I've installed it and didn't found it maybe have to have look again then.

Edit: And the question is does it work on the Mac.

Last edited:

makkofly

Just installed Advanced Scene Switcher and unfortunately it is the same as with the Auto Scene Switcher, it just shows Applications and not Windows. Seems like it is just impossible on a Mac to do that until the same mechanism that is used for Window Capture is used for the Scene Switcher as well.