Question / Help Can't get my SM58 to be captured from my Focusrite 18i20 in OBS

Kevjazz

I've seen several threads on this. I had done it successfully by routing a cable from one of the outputs of my 18i20 back to another input. This doesn't work anymore and I don't know why. I've tried several combinations of Desktop Audio Device, from Default to 18i20 to Speakers. I've run my cable from all sorts of OUTs on the back to either IN 1 or 2 on the front. this had worked in the past. I even preserved an OBS specific snapshot of my Focusrite. No joy. In one case, I would route from OUT3 to IN1 and get a feedback loop. but even this won't be captured by OBS. I am currently running Windows 10 1809. Pretty sure this is the latest build. Really need this to work so I can do a software demo that won't be possible without OBS. the mic does work in Reaper. So, the interface is working correctly.

In the unfortunate event that I can't get back into this forum, could you please copy e-mails to kevjazz@gmail.com so I can be sure to se them. I and legally blind and have trouble with many forums.

Kevjazz

I've seen several threads on this. I had done it successfully by routing a cable from one of the outputs of my 18i20 back to another input. This doesn't work anymore and I don't know why. I've tried several combinations of Desktop Audio Device, from Default to 18i20 to Speakers. I've run my cable from all sorts of OUTs on the back to either IN 1 or 2 on the front. this had worked in the past. I even preserved an OBS specific snapshot of my Focusrite. No joy. In one case, I would route from OUT3 to IN1 and get a feedback loop. but even this won't be captured by OBS. I am currently running Windows 10 1809. Pretty sure this is the latest build. Really need this to work so I can do a software demo that won't be possible without OBS. the mic does work in Reaper. So, the interface is working correctly.

In the unfortunate event that I can't get back into this forum, could you please copy e-mails to kevjazz@gmail.com so I can be sure to se them. I and legally blind and have trouble with many forums.
Is there a way to check for latest updates? Could something have happened when I updated Windows 10 to 109 from 1703? I know that destabilized my Focusrite and that required an update from them.

Kevjazz

I got my problem solved courtesy of a tech at Focusrite with whom I had spoken on this very subject almost a year ago. He was kind enough to go above and beyond the call by helping me with a OBS, a product for which Focusrite is in no way responsible. The first thing he fixed was to notice that an update of Windows had denied OBS access to my microphone. For details on this, see this article which the tech forwarded in his after action e-mail.

My microphone doesn't work in Windows

He also reviewed both my OBS specific Focusrite Control snapshot and my advanced settings in OBS. He finished by making two new snapshots, one for use when I have only one physical cable rerouting the signal from OUT3 to IN1, and another stereo snapshot for when I have 2 cables running from OUT3&4 to IN 1&2. He down-mixed the mic to mono in both cases. He kept my synths in stereo for the stereo version of the mix. Hope this is of some help to some of you. Also, if you update Windows, be sure to use the most recent Focusrite drivers for your hardware.