Question / Help Canon 60D DSLR as Webcam: Delay in Window Capture! Help!

Kearstin

Hey, everyone!

So I've recently implemented my DSLR to be my webcam into OBS, problem is, doing window capture to the EOS Utility, causes a hair of a delay in the capture versus the feed itself.

Is this because it's window capture?
Is it because it's DSLR to USB to iMac?
Would mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter to thunderbolt in iMac work?

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
If I remember correctly, the EOS Utility tends to have a fair bit of delay. There are is a video filter you could use to lower the delay, or use the Advanced Audio Mixer options to delay your audio to match.

Kearstin

If I remember correctly, the EOS Utility tends to have a fair bit of delay. There are is a video filter you could use to lower the delay, or use the Advanced Audio Mixer options to delay your audio to match.
The OBS audio settings or in my Audio Midi Setup?

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
The OBS audio settings or in my Audio Midi Setup?

Edit -> Advanced Audio Properties in OBS Studio and adjust the Sync Offset (ms) field.

And for more info on video delay: If you need to delay your video sources, add a Video Delay (Async) filter. Note that Display, Window, and Game Capture cannot be delayed.

Narcogen

I only have one HDMI out port on the Shuttle, so I'm not sure how I would pull it into Syphon otherwise.

I meant running Syphon Inject on the EOS utility app as a substitute for window capture. This will only work if EOS utility is an OpenGL app.

Other than that, delaying the audio to match is probably the best route.

Kearstin

Edit -> Advanced Audio Properties in OBS Studio and adjust the Sync Offset (ms) field.

And for more info on video delay: If you need to delay your video sources, add a Video Delay (Async) filter. Note that Display, Window, and Game Capture cannot be delayed.
I think adding an audio delay works, but can I do this to mic only? Or would this be my whole output?

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
The Sync Offset delay on audio is per-source, so you can do it to just the mic. :)

Kearstin

The Sync Offset delay on audio is per-source, so you can do it to just the mic. :)

I think I'm misunderstanding lol, this is what I see, and I read this as I have to push to delay?

10sai4m.png

And then per-source, I just see these options?

2irwv4j.png

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Edit -> Advanced Audio Properties in the main OBS window, not the Settings window.

Kearstin

Do you know if this would work if I did this:

DSLR - mini HDMI - HDMI - Blackmagic Thunderbolt?
Would this come thru the Syphon that I could capture that way?

Kearstin

I'm trying either and I'm not sure if I'm doing the connectivity incorrectly.

DSLR, mini HDMI to HDMI in on the Thunderbolt.
Neither Blackmagic Device or Syphon option show me anything.

I miss something or does this idea not work?

Narcogen

What resolution and refresh rate is the signal from the DSLR? BlackMagic supports a wide range of combinations, but not everything. If you haven't set exactly the right option, you'll get nothing or garbage.

If you connect the DSLR and open BlackMagic's own software, can you see an image from the camera?

Kearstin

What resolution and refresh rate is the signal from the DSLR? BlackMagic supports a wide range of combinations, but not everything. If you haven't set exactly the right option, you'll get nothing or garbage.

If you connect the DSLR and open BlackMagic's own software, can you see an image from the camera?
In Media Express? I'm not sure I'm still doing it right, because it won't come up in there. Right now I've got it at 720p59.94.

Narcogen

That's a supported mode that I know works-- it is what is necessary to capture from an Xbox on the blackmagic gear. Are you sure that's the mode your camera is outputting? Is it sending an interlaced signal? Perhaps you need to deinterlace it.

Kearstin

That's a supported mode that I know works-- it is what is necessary to capture from an Xbox on the blackmagic gear. Are you sure that's the mode your camera is outputting? Is it sending an interlaced signal? Perhaps you need to deinterlace it.
I guess I'm trying to get to the point where I can even see a preview for OBS to even grab, and from what program.
Using the Shuttle with my Xbox pulls the video, so what I don't understand is why it's not pulling video from the camera.

I've got the camera on live mode, preview screen open so I can see. Then I have the mini HDMI to HDMI out on the Shuttle. I open Syphon. Select my 720 and then boom nothing.

It's hard to find tutorials on Mac for this shit! :)