Question / Help Can someone help a noob about keyframe interval

CCSarah

I am looking to find out why when streaming you have to use keyframe interval of 2. Can anyone just give me a short background and reason behind it? Thanks.

Harold

Keyframes are points in the video where the entire frame is sent instead of just the differences from the previous frame. Having a keyframe interval of 2 means that it takes at most 2 seconds for the viewers to catch up to a point where they can properly display the feed.

Harold

Streaming services would allow it to be 1, but setting it to 0 usually ends up making it somewhere around 8.5s between keyframes.

2 offers a better balance between picture quality and viewer join speed.

CCSarah

Okay so the higher the number in theory makes the delay smaller? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to learn the background of why when streaming you want to be on Advanced over Simple and why the keyframe is a certain number.

Harold

No. The higher number makes the delay LARGER. 0 is automatic and not 0s. Automatic tends to put the keyframe interval in the range of 250 frames (typically 8.5 seconds)

FerretBomb

And sending a full frame instead of updates to the existing takes up more of the bitrate. As a result, the image quality looks poorer, since it's wasteful to send a full frame as compared to just the parts that have changed.

layarion

ok so this page was helpful.

i plan on making a local recording for how-to guide. i try to record at the highest quality/bitrate i can and then render at a lower bitrate later with an editor.

with that in mind, should i set my keyframe to 1 or something like 10?