Can OBS Studio utilize 2 NVENC engines?

Der Fleischmann

Hey guys!

First off I want to thank you for developing such a good software for free use! It's very powerful and I use it in all of my streams and offline recordings aswell. Thank you for that!

So lets get to the meat and bones of my thread: Have you guys implemented a way to let OBS Studio utilize 2 NVENC engines at the same time? Or is this handled automatically by the NVIDIA API anyways? I just bought an 1080 ti before Christmas and I've red, that it got 2 engines on the board, so I was asking myself that.

Furthermore I was asking myself, if it would result in some kind of quality improvement using both engines, while streaming at low bitrates (6MBit 900p on Twitch). I know that CPU-encoding is the way to go in order to achieve the best quality at lower bitrates, but I am currently running a one PC solution, which would not be able to handle the high loads and the setup will not change in the near future.

Thx in advance and greetings from germany! ;-)

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The desired result you want is already possible. You can stream at a restricted bitrate, but record full quality locally at the same time.

Just use the recording quality presets under Settings > Output when in Simple output mode. In the recording section, change the Recording Quality to Indistinguishable Quality, and then select NVENC as your encoder.

Der Fleischmann

Thx for the answer, Fenrir!

But my thread isn't about the recording quality, but more about the 2 NVENC engines working together to get a better stream qualiy over all at lower bitrates. I am not that familiar with the capabilities of NVENC and how it would scale with 2 engines instead of the usual 1, or if OBS is able to utilize multible engines properly at all.

I use NVENC to encode my stream to Twitch and then use the Twitch to Youtube export anyways. For local recordings I use NVENC with a CQP value of 21, which is more than enough, I guess... :-)

Thx in advance!

Last edited:

Der Fleischmann

Hi Osiris! Oh, so the second engine doesn't fulfill any purpose at all? Or is it just to handle higher resolution recordings better?

Der Fleischmann

Damn, that's a pity. Stacking the performance of the two chips would be pretty nice. On the other hand hardware encoding at lower bitrates shouldn't look that great, but I thought NVIDIA is using some special trick. So, I guess I have to get a dedicated streaming PC instead. Thx for your time and answers!