Can OBS Run On A VPS Rather Than A Desktop?

TCB

Want to provide combinations of live-streams and video presentations to small online groups of 15-30 people.
I have a rather beefy VPS (8 Cores, 32GB RAM, and lots of SSD) on which I currently run JITSI.
However, while I know I can share my sceen to others with JITSI I'd prefer to have the video delivered directly from my VPS rather than being proxied by the VPS from my desktop to the entire group.
Is OBS able to stream content directly from Debian-based VPS?
If so, can a VPS-based OBS be managed/administered from a desktop client?

sickley

I think OBS can actually be run through purely CLI. I think the biggest/first hurdle you're going to run into is getting whatever video to input into obs. if you're capturing from the VPS and not from your client it should in theory work fine. If you're trying to capture from the client then you'd have to find a way to get video to the server (if the server is located locally no big problem, you could even use NDI), but if the VPS is remote that sounds like it would probably be more work than it's worth IMO.

Tuna

Your VPS will need a real GPU in it or else the performance is probably not usable. Regardless of whether you run it from CLI or not. OBS's image manipulation routines run on the GPU. If you don't have one it may fallback to the CPU - which just compete at this task to even a cheap GPU.