Can Not get OBS to build on Windows 64bit following custom build on the OBS Website Wiki Page

donjazzyagain

A newbie

Cloned OBS from github start building it follow

Build Instructions For Windows​

Option B: Custom Windows builds​

using cmake

OBS: Application Version: 0.0.1 - Build Number: 7
The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.30.30705.0
The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.30.30705.0
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.30.30705/bin/Hostx64/x64/cl.exe - skipped
Detecting C compile features
Detecting C compile features - done
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.30.30705/bin/Hostx64/x64/cl.exe - skipped
Detecting CXX compile features
Detecting CXX compile features - done
OBS: Windows API version is 10.0.22621.0
Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED_ATTR
Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED_ATTR - Failed
Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED
Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED - Success
Found OpenGL: opengl32
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.26/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230 (message):
Could NOT find FFmpeg (missing: FFMPEG_AVCODEC_LIBRARIES
FFMPEG_AVCODEC_INCLUDE_DIRS avcodec avdevice avutil avformat)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.26/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:600 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
cmake/Modules/FindFFmpeg.cmake:164 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
deps/media-playback/CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

cmake obs1.jpg

My Question is there intermediate steps that i missed which is not in the wiki page for windows
where do i get this ffmpeg dir

thanks

Suslik V

...where do i get this ffmpeg dir
Under the https://github.com/obsproject/obs-deps/releases?q=windows link
you will find the "Assets" spoiler, under this spoiler there is "Show all 22 assets" option - click it and you'll see full list.
There you will find the "windows-deps-2023-04-12-x64.zip" file (the FFmpeg libs are inside). Date and time for the archive is subject to change.
OBS Deps Build 2023-04-12 FFmpeg libs archive.png

For the Qt deps you need different archive from the same list. Building some plugins will be not easy (browser etc), because they require additional dependencies.

donjazzyagain

Suslik V Thanks for your reply​

yes i did that and added it
in th cmake like this
DepsPaths as instructed in the wiki page
still can not find FFMPEG

I can comfirm to you that that wiki page to build OBS for Windows is current badly out of date.I simply do not work if one follow it in 2023

I used From same resources you pointed out but 2021 win64 version

AND CMAKE Found FFMPEG

I still want to build OBS with the current dependencies for virtual remote camera!

PLEASE HOW DO I BUILD OBS 2023 from SOURCE!

Thanks

donjazzyagain

Which means that building OBS from Source is only for the Professionals and Experts

I love OBS i kind of treating as the needy get way drug to C/C++

But the Enterance bar in too high

i wish i can find a way to build it

koala

Do you have special demand for a "custom Windows build"`? Try the automatic build option A, it's a no brainer. Essentially, after you installed Visual Studio and Windows SDK and downloaded the source with git, you call build-windows.ps1 and it builds an executable, and that's it. It downloads and installs all the other prerequisites automatically. You don't need to explicitly configure anything.

I just recently set up a development environment under Windows 11 strictly according to option A, and it automatically built a working obs executable. After the build, the solution file to load into Visual Studio for graphical IDE, debugging and hacking the source code can be found in the build directory.

The more challenging thing is to install all prerequisites (Visual Studio, Windows SDK and development tool packages) and not leave out required packages.

David_G

Do you have special demand for a "custom Windows build"`? Try the automatic build option A, it's a no brainer. Essentially, after you installed Visual Studio and Windows SDK and downloaded the source with git, you call build-windows.ps1 and it builds an executable, and that's it. It downloads and installs all the other prerequisites automatically. You don't need to explicitly configure anything.

I just recently set up a development environment under Windows 11 strictly according to option A, and it automatically built a working obs executable. After the build, the solution file to load into Visual Studio for graphical IDE, debugging and hacking the source code can be found in the build directory.

The more challenging thing is to install all prerequisites (Visual Studio, Windows SDK and development tool packages) and not leave out required packages.
Hi,

I've been trying as you suggested for build 29.1.3 Windows 64bit and get this error when running "build-windows.ps1"

CMake Error at plugins/obs-websocket/cmake/legacy.cmake:22 (find_package):
By not providing "Findqrcodegencpp.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"qrcodegencpp", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "qrcodegencpp" with
any of the following names:

qrcodegencppConfig.cmake
qrcodegencpp-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "qrcodegencpp" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"qrcodegencpp_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"qrcodegencpp" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
has been installed.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/Modules/ObsHelpers.cmake:519 (include)
plugins/obs-websocket/CMakeLists.txt:3 (legacy_check)

Any suggestions?

I'm by no means a newbie developer (23 years or so) but Visual Studio and the build environment has moved on quite a bit from when I last used it.

regards,

David