Question / Help Can I Stop Spacebar from Acting as a Hotkey?

skilsaw

I just bricked my D drive drive because my spacebar defaults to record in OBS and creates hundreds of unwanted 500 kb ish sized recordings while I do basic tasks on the machine, many become corrupt due to inadvertent commands from the spacebar due to unwanted system focus shifts. The unwanted data can and will cause problems for both disc and SSD drives.
Other times massive unwanted recordings result with no clear indication that they're happening that take up an entire drive.

It's just wrong

It needs to be fixed.

If OBS is designed to run on windows, OBS should work right in windows.

The problem also just destroyed a memory card I was using as a safety measure/work around so that OBS wouldn't mess up my internal drives.

Anyone using OBS has other tasks they're managing. The lack of indication/highlight of focus adds to the problem.

Perhaps a CLEAR GIANT indicator should flash on taskbar when obs is in record (or streaming). That might help as a workaround.

There has to be a way to unlink the space-bar from the record and all other functions.

FerretBomb

I just bricked my D drive drive because my spacebar defaults to record in OBS and creates hundreds of unwanted 500 kb ish sized recordings while I do basic tasks on the machine, many become corrupt due to inadvertent commands from the spacebar due to unwanted system focus shifts. The unwanted data can and will cause problems for both disc and SSD drives.
Other times massive unwanted recordings result with no clear indication that they're happening that take up an entire drive.

It's just wrong

It needs to be fixed.

If OBS is designed to run on windows, OBS should work right in windows.

The problem also just destroyed a memory card I was using as a safety measure/work around so that OBS wouldn't mess up my internal drives.

Anyone using OBS has other tasks they're managing. The lack of indication/highlight of focus adds to the problem.

Perhaps a CLEAR GIANT indicator should flash on taskbar when obs is in record (or streaming). That might help as a workaround.

There has to be a way to unlink the space-bar from the record and all other functions.
There is. Don't assign spacebar as your start/stop recording hotkey. It's not a shortcut, it's a hotkey, so NO MATTER WHAT ELSE YOU'RE DOING, if you press an assigned hotkey and OBS is open, OBS will do the thing it's been assigned by the end user to do.
And spacebar is DEFINITELY not assigned to start/stop recording by default. But a lot of new users do assign it to that, figuring it's easy to hit and remember.

skilsaw

There is. Don't assign spacebar as your start/stop recording hotkey. It's not a shortcut, it's a hotkey, so NO MATTER WHAT ELSE YOU'RE DOING, if you press an assigned hotkey and OBS is open, OBS will do the thing it's been assigned by the end user to do.
And spacebar is DEFINITELY not assigned to start/stop recording by default. But a lot of new users do assign it to that, figuring it's easy to hit and remember.
Thanks but I don't have the spacebar assigned to anything in OBS . OBS starts recording when the spacebar is hit no matter what. There's no way to stop it. I thought that was the topic was here.

I'm running Reaper and on the same machine going back and fourth between programs. Reaper allows me to NOT assign any task or action to the spacebar. OBS should preferably behave the same way. There's a claim is that windows won't allow it for some technical reason. I have a hard time accepting that explanation citing Reaper and other programs ability to unassign the spacebar from actions or tasks.

FerretBomb

Thanks but I don't have the spacebar assigned to anything in OBS . OBS starts recording when the spacebar is hit no matter what. There's no way to stop it. I thought that was the topic was here.

I'm running Reaper and on the same machine going back and fourth between programs. Reaper allows me to NOT assign any task or action to the spacebar. OBS should preferably behave the same way. There's a claim is that windows won't allow it for some technical reason. I have a hard time accepting that explanation citing Reaper and other programs ability to unassign the spacebar from actions or tasks.
OBS absolutely does not come with Space set as the start/stop recording hotkey. It has NO hotkeys assigned by default. The only way that hotkeys get assigned is when users assign them.

Check your hotkey codex in Settings->Hotkeys and hit the trash can icon to unassign it. You can assign it to a different key to make sure the value is overwritten.

dgatwood

I'm seeing similar misbehavior on Linux, and I have that hot key explicitly configured to do something else.

It looks like the space bar is triggering the last button clicked (possibly as a right click), because for some reason, OBS is allowing the button to maintain focus. It's likely a bad side effect of accessibility-related changes.

skilsaw

OBS absolutely does not come with Space set as the start/stop recording hotkey. It has NO hotkeys assigned by default. The only way that hotkeys get assigned is when users assign them.

Check your hotkey codex in Settings->Hotkeys and hit the trash can icon to unassign it. You can assign it to a different key to make sure the value is overwritten.
THANKS!!!! The trash can did the trick.

robian

My space bar is NOT assigned to anything in Settings-->Hotkeys of OBS, but any time I use it writing something while OBS is running I get REC ON and OFF in repetition.
No way to change this scam, tried to assign the space bar and then hitting the trash bin , but nothing, still this annoying behaviour, can't work on any writing task while OBS is running.

How is it possible that there is no workaround to this?

Sweepout

No my spacebar is NOT assigned a hotkey. Yet it starts and stops recording everytime its pressed!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-03 134635.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-03 134635.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 19

Fenrir

Forum Admin
If spacebar is starting/stopping recording, then you have OBS in focus, and the start/stop record button highlighted, so pressing space is acting as if you clicked the button. Unfocus OBS, or click somewhere else in the window like the scene/source list, or preview, to "unfocus" the record button.