Question / Help Can I Record True 1080p Videos with a Monitor Resolution 1366 x 768?

My laptop's full resolution is 1366 x 768 (can't get 1920 x 1080). I have an Elgato Cam Link 4K capture card with a Canon Rebel SL2. I know that these devices support 1080p, and so does OBS. So if I make OBS record in 1080p, is it recording in a true 1080p? I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question. I just thought that the monitor only affects how it plays back, not necessarily how it encodes. So the video on other devices will play back a true 1080p, and not an upscaled version?

FYI, my CPU is i5-8250U, which, according to Intel, has a 4096 x 2304 max resolution. So I know my CPU can do it. But I just want to make sure that OBS will truly record in 1080p.

Suslik V

If Canvas and Output is the same 1080p then everything will be at 1080p, and it doesn't matter - you may even switch off the Preview of OBS (or send preview as projector to other connected display, if you have any and it is better than build-in one).

Edit: when other content is running at lower than 1080p resolution then you'll see that it doesn't cover whole canvas of OBS and thus scale-up of the source is needed.

Last edited:
If Canvas and Output is the same 1080p then everything will be at 1080p, and it doesn't matter - you may even switch off the Preview of OBS (or send preview as projector to other connected display, if you have any and it is better than build-in one).
Thanks. In our case, it won't be feasible to connect to an external display. It's for streaming my church services, and we rent the building, so we have to set up and take down every Sunday. The laptop that we are using was a cheaper one ($500 + 15% tax here in Canada), but has a decent CPU. So it's not a huge deal what we're looking at on the screen, as long as the recording and stream are going to be a decent quality 1080p.