Can I record 1440P at 60 FPS to a HDD?

cloudyballs123

I will be recording at 1440p at 60 FPS.

I want to record my footage straight to a 4GB hard drive, then once it is recorded move it to an SSD for editing.

Will a 5400 RPM HDD or a 7200 RPM HDD work?

To be clear the HDD will only be for recording directly from OBS to that HDD, then moving the footage to an SSD to edit.

My specs are GPU- 2080TI & CPU I7-7700K.

I really want to do things this way as currently the hassle of constantly moving files around is a bit annoying.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I tried looking into this myself but found so much conflicting info I thought I'd go to the forum for help.

koala

As long as this HD is an internal HDD and not externally connected, you should be fine. Run a HDD benchmark, and if the drive has at least a consistent write transfer rate not much below 100 MB/sec (or whatever your maximum video data rate would be), it should be fine. All modern hard disks sold in the last 5-10 years are faster.

External HDD's are problematic, because Windows doesn't enable write cache on these as default.

If you manually enable write cache on an external USB 3 connected HDD in Windows device manager, it should be fine with this as well, but you must not forget to use the "safely remove device" feature from the system tray, otherwise you will damage the file system if you just pull the plug. Windows also tends to forget this setting, so you need to verify it after rebooting or plugging it in again after unplugging.