Can I play an MP3 player through OBS?

mikehende

I had thought OBS was a paid software. While experiment wit another DAW, I was led to voicemeeter as a replacement for VAC:

Yeah I am having issue hearing the fx over the playing music. I will keep trying.

Can this system work with Asio too? Reason asking is my main MP3 player which is the best on the planet:

It is a hybrid DJ and Radio Automation software which does not have Wasapi option, only Asio so my preference would be to get that to work if possible.

Yeah I am having issue hearing the fx over the playing music. I will keep trying.
It's possibly the VST you're trying? I'm not sure tbqh.

I have no experience with either of those softwares, I just use free stuff and it seems to work (eventually). Hopefully it gets working in the end :)

mikehende

I am going to try different plugins, will let you know.

Well, what I am asking is if MM can work with the ASIO option instead of the Wasapi please?

mikehende

There is an issue with the fx plugins not working. Noe of them are working and when I select and try to open a couple of them OBS crashes.

mikehende

There is an issue with the fx plugins not working. Noe of them are working and when I select and try to open a couple of them OBS crashes. I am wondering if since the Filers show VST "2", may the plugins need to be VST 2 and not VST or VST 3? I am trying some VST 2 specific but it is crashing OBS too.

There is an issue with the fx plugins not working. Noe of them are working and when I select and try to open a couple of them OBS crashes. I am wondering if since the Filers show VST "2", may the plugins need to be VST 2 and not VST or VST 3? I am trying some VST 2 specific but it is crashing OBS too.
Could you upload your OBS log so I can see what's crashing?

mikehende

You can toggle them on and off with the buttons on the list:
View attachment 73907
You might want to play around with it until you notice it's working.

I am not getting this view and options on my end, this is what I am seeing in the Audio Filters Window?

obs5.png

Sure:

I had tried posting for help on the Plugins forum but see that I do not have sufficient priviledges to do so.
Log seems okay - would you be able to find and upload one from a time that it crashed, from your logs folder? I can read it and determine what caused the crash then.

I am not getting this view and options on my end, this is what I am seeing in the Audio Filters Window?
Click the little eye symbol to toggle the filter on/off.
1628169009572.png

Yes the toggling with the eye is working thanks. Problem still exists with the fx only audible over the word "trial" and not from the song itself which is playing in MM? Can this issue be related to the VAC trial in any way?

OBS applies the VST effect to ALL of the audio that it receives through the line, so I can't think of any reason why it would be selectively applying it to the trial sound, unless the specific VST effect is limiting to a specific frequency range/volume? I know it's very unlikely but that's all I can think that could be causing it - unless it is to do with the VAC trial, which doesn't make any sense because OBS is still picking up the sound inbetween the trial sound... It doesn't make sense :/

The log you sent doesn't indicate that OBS crashed. Go into the log files folder (click on "Show log files" in the help menu) and search for one of the txt documents where the last line has a crash or error report.

mikehende

Yes that makes sense so not to figure out what's causing the fx from not being applied over the audio itself.

This one fx stays on which I can toggle on/off and can hear it [over the trial word]

obs7.png
This is one of them which crashes
obs8.png
but seems the first one is the only which doesn't crash and that is a VST2 which is why I am thinking this might be the issue regarding the crashing?

Attachments

• 2021-08-05 09-50-38.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 4
Yes that makes sense so not to figure out what's causing the fx from not being applied over the audio itself.

This one fx stays on which I can toggle on/off and can hear it [over the trial word]

View attachment 73947
This is one of them which crashes
View attachment 73948
but seems the first one is the only which doesn't crash and that is a VST2 which is why I am thinking this might be the issue regarding the crashing?
So there's no crash in the OBS logs which indicates that it's an error with the VST effect itself - the "ALERT" dialog box you see is entirely generated by the VST plugin and not OBS, so I can't help you there unfortunately. It says it can't load preset and version field error? I'm not sure what that means but is it possible that you have a preset for an older (or newer) version of the VST plugin, which cannot be loaded in the version you have installed? Apart from that I have no idea to be quite honest with you...

mikehende

Makes sense if one plugin is not crashing then yes should be an issue with the others, that's not a major problem just to get the working fx to sound over the audio is the main issue.

mikehende

np, we gave it a good run and now thanks to you I have "hope" that there should be something which can work somewhere with some software or the other. Again, thank you very much for all of your time, efforts and help, I greatly appreciate it. I will still go on looking for something works, if I should find something, will post back here, till then all the best and many blessings!

mikehende

Oh btw, can you tell me essentially which classification does OBS fall under please, Streaming software, DAW, audio capture e.t.c? Reason asking is since we've come very close to my needs with OBS, I figure I can try other softwares which would be similar to OBS but I need to know which title or words to use in my searches for it.

Oh btw, can you tell me essentially which classification does OBS fall under please, Streaming software, DAW, audio capture e.t.c? Reason asking is since we've come very close to my needs with OBS, I figure I can try other softwares which would be similar to OBS but I need to know which title or words to use in my searches for it.
Sure. So the wikipedia page classifies OBS as a "software suite for recording and livestreaming". "Suite" means it's a collection of different pieces of software, bundled to be used fluidely together. There is no standardised classification for this type of software - pre-OBS it stemmed from cueing and titling for live TV (pre-software, so this had to be done with hardware which rendered very limited digital graphics as overlays which can be seen here).

Anyway fast forward to late-2000s and consumer hardware was juuuuust on the edge of being able to encode low-res, low-framerate content, I remember my laptop in 2012 could stream a 360p 25fps video with Adobe Flash media encoder.

Then people realised that you could make some pretty amazing software that could overlay complex images, webpages, create scenes with all the relevant overlays, etc.

BBC have an open-source alternative, and have a list of other alternatives, but may be complex and limited in features compared to OBS.

mikehende

I am not finding anything similar to OBS. tell me this please, what type of programming does this fall under so I can maybe join programming forums to see if anyone might be able to get the coding done or point me to something which can work.