Question / Help Camera Freezing before streaming and during streaming, randomly - (Elgato CamLink 4K, HD60 S+)

Goonie

So, I'm at deadend with resolving this issue or don't know what could be the root cause of the problem. I've been having with my CamLink 4K to GoPro Hero5 in which the Video Capture would freeze. This would happen before streaming and during stream. The video feed won't return unless I deactivate and reactivate the device in the Video Capture Properties.

Here's what I've been doing to troubleshoot:

1) I thought it was USB Bandwidth, so I had checked and made sure of that so I have the Cam Link connect to the rear (ASmedia 3.0 USB eXtensible Host Controller) and HD60 S+ to the front ports (Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller).

2) When I thought it was my fault ASMedia USB, I did originally have two of the devices nearby and later saw that they should be separate. That wasn't so. Also, I had problems before with the HD60+ on the ASMedia, before I got the CamLink 4K in which the video would cut off intermittently on their Elgato "4K Capture Utility". I ended up updating the ASMedia USB Drivers that I adopted at Dell's Website (since Windows kept insisting they are up to date..), and the Elgato's "4K Capture Utility" and "Game Capture HD" has both worked without getting a losing signal.

3) I tried to recreate my setup in SLOBs and still the same problem exists.

4) Zoom and Microsoft Team works well before the driver up and works well after the driver update.

5) In OBS Studio, I made a whole new Profile and blank scene and added the CamLink 4K Video Capture only and works flawlessly. It's when I added the additional Elgato HD60+ as my game capture is when I get the freezing right away.

I don't think it is an OBS Studio issue, since it has happened in SLOBs? Since the activities of 5), I do know is it triggers after I added in a second Video Capture.

Has anyone come across this and what were the solutions? What causes this problem?

Thank you!

My other speculation to the cause could be my out-of-date system. It's a 2nd gen Intel i7-2600K. I'm hoping my upgrade (if I can get all my items this week) will help.

Attachments

• 2020-05-25 10-34-52.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 46

Goonie

Here's an update.

I switched the HD60 S+ to the Asmedia USB controller, and Camlink to the Intel USB controller. The HD60 S+ froze right away.

So it could be a hardware issue or bandwidth? If OBS pulls in more bandwidth, then that would explain why Teams and Zoom still functions fine. Is there a way to reduce the bandwidth?

jdycus

I had problem with my stream freezing and found out my Chrome browser took over my camera. There is a setting in Chrome where you can block Chrome from affecting your external camera.

Goonie

I had problem with my stream freezing and found out my Chrome browser took over my camera. There is a setting in Chrome where you can block Chrome from affecting your external camera.

That's very interesting. Thank you Jdycus! So I tried that and it didn't improve.
I also went into Windows > Settings > Privacy and made sure that OBS has access to the camera and nothing else.

The situation seems to happen even if I'm not streaming at all.
I just tried to make HD60 as invisible or deactivated and still freezes.

Attachments

• 2020-05-25 14-30-24.txt
    8 KB · Views: 38

Goonie

Well, I've upgraded my CPU since then and everything seems to be working.

I hope this thread will be useful for anyone experiencing these similar problems with the ASmedia USB Host Controller.

tyr3ll

Hi, I have a similar issue. I was doing a live DJ stream last night for a couple groups I belong to. I use two USB cameras and the audio is fed in through my Focusrite audio interface. When it happens, the audio cuts out briefly and both cameras freeze at the same time. The audio comes back after a second or two, but the video stays frozen. The scrolling text and graphics (Aeon standalone via window capture) continue.

I have a relatively new Dell G5 with an i7 and 16 gb RAM, so I don't think it should be a resource issue. I'll try looking at chrome interferences (I have chrome open to share the stream on multiple pages).

Here's an example

tyr3ll

Update: it does it with my laptop's integrated webcam as well, and doesn't have to be streaming. I tried just recording last night without streaming, and it happened several times, all 3 cameras at the same time.

I did block camera access in chrome.