Camera control

Farquar1000

I am very new to the usage of this type of software. We have two cameras which are used via OBS for streaming purposes to Youtube of church services. Everything works well and is relatively trouble free. However, it is apparent when the software is closed the cameras appear to remain powered up and theoretically on. Each camera is powered over POE. I am mostly concerned about the cameras constantly being in what I would term as an active mode. Is it possible to simple set a toggle to turn off or disable the video feed from them via this software? Any suggestion will be most welcome.

Depends on the cameras: if they are "security system style" cameras, they are DESIGNED to be powered and active all the time.

Check the manual or manufacturer's website. That should tell you whether there is a standby mode and how to enter and leave it: maybe an inactivity timeout, maybe an explicit message via VISCA or other protocol. There is nothing built into OBS to send such messages, but you should be able to do it with a Lua or Python script. That is probably beyond "very new to this," so start by seeing whether you need to do it at all.

There is also the cave-man approach: put the cameras on their own PoE link, and cut power to the link. :)