Built stronger PC, but now OBS is lagging (GPU Encoding Issue?)

cswaysway

OBS Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/m9LejIjED7OkXRPU

In game settings: https://i.imgur.com/fSVnl8p.png

Desktop cap: https://i.imgur.com/Drp0nC7.jpg

OBS preview looks fine when the game is not the active window but starts lagging when I enter the game screen. I went from a 1080p/GTX1080/i5-8600K to a new build 1440p/2070s/r7-3700x.

I've tried moving from GPU encoding to regular, but no luck. Pretty new to this. Any help to diagnose would be great. I bought a 1440p monitor and this 2070s to game in 144hz, which has been great but javen't been able to record.

were491

Your log doesn't include a recording, so there would be no information on why the lag ocurred.

This is a common issue though; try running OBS as administrator and see if that fixes the issue.

qhobbes

1. If recording on your LG monitor, change the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 120
2. Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the Advanced Settings.
3. Uncheck the box for Psycho Visual Tuning in the Output settings.
4. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio): 48000 Hz

To fix this, go to Settings, Audio, General and set the Sample Rate to 48 kHz.
5. Display Capture is the worst. Use Window or Game Capture if possible.
6. Change your Output Resolution to 1920x1080 or change the Common FPS to 30.

cswaysway

1. If recording on your LG monitor, change the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 120
2. Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the Advanced Settings.
3. Uncheck the box for Psycho Visual Tuning in the Output settings.
4. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio): 48000 Hz

To fix this, go to Settings, Audio, General and set the Sample Rate to 48 kHz.
5. Display Capture is the worst. Use Window or Game Capture if possible.
6. Change your Output Resolution to 1920x1080 or change the Common FPS to 30.
1. done - no change
2. done - no change
3. done - no change
4. done - thanks
5. done - THIS HELPED!
6. done - however, I've been bouncing around with some of these options because NOW I'm experience minor hiccups in replay of the recording. Game is smooth, preview is a tad stuttery (not as bad as before). But it's noticeable on watching the video. Thought it was the recording rates but doesn't seem to make much change with 1080p scale and either 60 or 30 fps. Thoughts?

qhobbes

Lowering resolution/framerate helps with encoder overload. Your previous log showed 77% log and now it shows none. It looks like you can do 1080 @ 60 FPS without any issues. You can increase the visual quality by lowering the cqp number.

cswaysway

Lowering resolution/framerate helps with encoder overload. Your previous log showed 77% log and now it shows none. It looks like you can do 1080 @ 60 FPS without any issues. You can increase the visual quality by lowering the cqp number.
Seems to be somewhat settled. However, I'm still noticing minor jitters in the video replay. Guess I'll have to add a framelimit to my game? it's set to 120 right now.

qhobbes

Yes, if the game has a frame limiter, set it to 120. Don't generate frames you can't see, generate better frames you can see.
Now that you've found a spot with no encoding overload or rending lag (1080p 60fps cqp 18), you can tweak it until you get encoding overload or rending lag.
First start by re-enabling Psycho Visual Tuning in the Output settings. If that does not cause any issues, then lower the cqp number.