Bring back old TXT source

Vit@min

The old TXT source had a neat 2nd color fade function which was great and made up for some neat effects.
Would be nice to have this effect either in the new TXT source as well or having the possibility to use the old TXT source from previous version prior 0.16.

Suslik V

You can add filter 'Image/Mask blend' to the text source. Select Type: Blend (Multiply), as image (path) use simple gradient of two colors (or any other image).

Vit@min

That's just too much fiddling around, finding the correct mask, color mismatches, trial and error kinda stuff.
No need to make it more complicated when the option we had before was just so much more simple, easy to use, convenient and quick to do.
The patch was supposed to be "quality of life changes", yet this is right the opposite.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
That's just too much fiddling around, finding the correct mask, color mismatches, trial and error kinda stuff.
No need to make it more complicated when the option we had before was just so much more simple, easy to use, convenient and quick to do.
The patch was supposed to be "quality of life changes", yet this is right the opposite.
Lots of people requested centered multi-line text. The new GDI+ text source accomplishes that. The FreeType2 text source also had other issues besides that. Keep in mind that the GDI+ text source is new in 0.16.0, which was just released a couple of days ago, so it may be a few patches before its functionality is fully realized and polished.

Thank you for reporting this to the forums! It's difficult for one man to test all of the use-cases people have for OBS Studio and catch all of the bugs. The developer is aware of the issue now.

Last edited:

Dimmizer

You can add filter 'Image/Mask blend' to the text source. Select Type: Blend (Multiply), as image (path) use simple gradient of two colors (or any other image).

This means nothing to me.. having to add an image so I can do a 2tone text color seems really stupid..

Vit@min

Whoa excellent.
Thanks Xaymar & Jim :)

Even the direction of the gradient can be changed, very neat.
The only thing that I found while comparing these 2 different TXT scenes is the lack shadow-effect that is left out.
If that would make a comeback as well for a near release I'd call it perfect and wont bother you anymore with lack of good old things :)

But for now enjoy the Twitchcon doodes and have a great time!

Xaymar

Whoa excellent.
Thanks Xaymar & Jim :)

Even the direction of the gradient can be changed, very neat.
The only thing that I found while comparing these 2 different TXT scenes is the lack shadow-effect that is left out.
If that would make a comeback as well for a near release I'd call it perfect and wont bother you anymore with lack of good old things :)

But for now enjoy the Twitchcon doodes and have a great time!

Shadow effect might be better in a shader - even though GDI+ allows for effects like blurring, but it won't be performant at all.

Edit: I did make a PR with some other interesting features though, might be worth checking out: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/pull/639

Vit@min

The example pictures helped a bunch understanding the effect behind it, else I'd be lost :D
Looks very neat as well. Can't wait to use it for couple of my scenes.

Would be great to have the shadow effect in a shader (not 100% sure what that means technically) or included right in the TXT source as an option like it was before. Meantime I'll just add another TXT source in black to make up for this effect. Bit of a hassle and can get quite confusing having couple of different TXT sources, but it works. Looking forward to a more elegant solution here :)