Black Screen with PS3 and BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K

guillaumesoucy

Hello,
I’m trying to hookup my old PS3 to my BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K using HDMI but it only showing a black screen or a green screen with vertical lines.
Initially, I hook the PS3 to a HDMI switch, seeing it wasn’t working, I plugged the PS3 directly to the BM card using the HDMI input, unfortunately it did not changes anything.
I read on this forums that it could be a HDCP issue. Is HDCP is enables on the whole PS3? With my XBox One the HDCP is only blacking specific apps such as Netflix and the funniest thing it is not all content from NF that getting blacked (probably a question of licensing).
While connected to a TV, I tried to limit resolution to from 1080p to 1080i then 720p and finally 480p. On the computer runnings OBS, I do have a software from BlackMagic that I’d installed at the same time that the drivers.
When connecting back the PS3 to the capture card, the BM software was able to detect the resolution that I’d set when the PS3 was hooked to the TV.

Thanks

Guillaume

AaronD

I read on this forums that it could be a HDCP issue. Is HDCP is enables on the whole PS3? With my XBox One the HDCP is only blacking specific apps such as Netflix and the funniest thing it is not all content from NF that getting blacked (probably a question of licensing).
All of that is entirely possible. DRM is and always will be a mess, as some people try to be selective and can't possibly hit all of the boundaries exactly right, and others just give up and restrict everything regardless.

Both approaches create similar problems, of not being able to "just do" things that are in fact perfectly legal and would be easy otherwise. That creates a market for "DRM defeaters" of various kinds, which are then abused far more often than they're used legitimately. For that last reason, you're probably not going to get much actual help if you go that route. At least not from most reputable sites.

guillaumesoucy

All of that is entirely possible. DRM is and always will be a mess, as some people try to be selective and can't possibly hit all of the boundaries exactly right, and others just give up and restrict everything regardless.

Both approaches create similar problems, of not being able to "just do" things that are in fact perfectly legal and would be easy otherwise. That creates a market for "DRM defeaters" of various kinds, which are then abused far more often than they're used legitimately. For that last reason, you're probably not going to get much actual help if you go that route. At least not from most reputable sites.
Hello and thanks for your answer.

Just to rassure, I‘m not going to “stream“ or doing anything involving copyrighted contents to the public audiences knowing the consequences that imply.

I just wish to record for my own personal records the gameplays from my old PS3 that I just fix.

If I understanding correctly, a PS3 is “HDCPied” in whole, I will stop blaming bad HDMI cables...

Guillaume

guillaumesoucy

Hello,

I do have a update.

Now, OBS it displaying this when imputing the PS3:

vlcsnap-2024-01-02-13h53m45s805.jpg

What it mean?

Thanks,

Guillaume

AaronD

Now, OBS it displaying this when imputing the PS3:

View attachment 100576

What it mean?
It's getting what appears to be random noise. The splotches are compression artifacts, from the encoder trying desperately to make some kind of sense out of that noise.

Random-looking noise is the goal of encryption, so you might still have that problem. It's just that the capture card is now passing it through instead of giving up.

guillaumesoucy

It's getting what appears to be random noise. The splotches are compression artifacts, from the encoder trying desperately to make some kind of sense out of that noise.

Random-looking noise is the goal of encryption, so you might still have that problem. It's just that the capture card is now passing it through instead of giving up.
Ok, thanks for your time.

guillaumesoucy

Another update:

Just got a PS3 component fan-tail cable and a component to HDMI converter. Reviews on Amazon for the converter seem to be favorable.

Because I’m NOT going to record/stream from copyrighted video content such of Netflix, I should be fine. Just gameplay of oldies games for PS3.

I will post the results here in the interest of whom in the same situation. :-)

Skål
(cheers)