Black Screen since Windows 10 2004 Update

DavidArland

Hi,

I've successfully used OBS Studio to record or stream some of my gameplay in the past, but ever since updating to Windows 10 May 2020 Update (Build 2004), my OBS no longer outputs anything but a black screen, both on preview or actual file output. I was previously running Build 1909, with Nvidia Drivers 451.48 (previously running 445.98HF on 1909, then 446.14 on install of 2004 where I noticed the problem). This is on a desktop PC.

I've reinstalled OBS Studio 25.0.8, checked my Graphics Settings to set OBS as a 'Desktop App' (other choice is Windows Store), set to High Performance, and have all of Win10's Game Mode/XB DVR features disabled. I've also set OBS to Run as Admin (which I didn't have to do prior to Win10 2004).

Attached is my log and a screenshot of the app running while recording. I tried with both NvEnc (new) and x264, same results. Tried to record with several different games/apps (Killing Floor 2, Ace Combat 7, Microsoft Edge) using Game Capture mode, which was what I used before.

Attachments

• Log.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 44
  • OBSFail.jpg
    OBSFail.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 86

carlmmii

The 451.48 drivers implemented a new feature called Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, which has been causing issues with capture. This is only available in the 2004 update of windows, which may explain why you're having the issue now.

Go to Windows Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings, and if Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is enabled, try turning it off.

DavidArland

Not quite, unfortunately. As indicated, I started having the issue with 446.14 (doesn't support HAGS), which is the version I had immediately after installing Win10 2004. I just tested it right now with it disabled and it's still happening.

DavidArland

I did some experimentation. Re-installed 445.98HF with the installer's Clean Install mode, and Game Capture works again. I then re-installed 451.48 also with Clean Install, and Game Capture still works on all programs!

RAS1000

We stream our church services to YouTube using OBS Studio. It has been a great application. We recently installed the 2004 Windows 10 update and now are beginning to encounter high frame rate losses, where we had none before. We're using about 50 percent of our available network bandwidth. We stream live in lieu of recording and unfortunately lost one of our church services yesterday part way through owing to the high frame rate loss. The problem we're having may be coincidental with the Windows update; however, is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

romeogfx

So...to the Administrators...contributors....can I please just get a straight up or down monosyllabc response...

I have used OBS for more than a year - ditched XSplit for OBS....now, it just stopped working. Of course, when I needed it most.
Black screen for video capture, image, everything....and none of the solutions anyone here offers - not you guys since you dont really offer any solutions here or on Discord - actually work, because they refere to an integrated graphics processor selection option on the NVIDIA panel that simply does not exist....so, myquestion is: Should we just migrate back to XSplit? Or do you think you will ever figure this out?

For now, I have an important stream for a political forum tomorrow and after spending 7 hours trying to FIX obs...i need to try to figure out if XSplit will work with restream and go premium there just to get my scenes i need....obs. it was nice while it lasted i guess.