Black Ops Cold War frame hitching in OBS recording

onlinedude69

The problem is as follows - when I record gameplay for CoD BOCW (OBS recording settings here, encoding lag does never exceed 0.1%), I notice a fairly pronounced and frequent frame "hitching" in the recorded video, whereas when I play the game I really don't notice anything like that. Not sure if "hitching" is the right term, so let me explain on a frame-by-frame example of a purported "hitch":
  • Expected frame sequence: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5
  • Recorded frame sequence: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 5
I am very puzzled by the fact that I observe/properly notice this issue only when watching the recorded footage - not when playing myself. I've tried to run the game with a number of different settings, and so far it appears that
  • It doesn't matter if the game runs in borderless fullscreen or in fullscreen exclusive mode;
  • It doesn't matter if the game runs with Nvidia Reflex set to normal or boost;
  • The problem gets worse if I run FSE and disable fullscreen optimizations;
  • Frequency of "hitches" is inversely proportional to framerate;
  • "Hitches" remain even at framerates way in excess of the recording framerate
Some other details about my setup:
  • 8700K; 1060 6GB. Depending on the settings, I run game at like 5% framerate low (95% of frames being faster) of 30 - 80 FPS. Hard GPU bottleneck, in my case.
  • Windows 10 19042.630; OBS Studio 26.0.2 (64-bit, admin privileges); Nvidia 457.30 driver.
  • Hypothetical interfering software/overlays - ShadowPlay and RTSS (7.2.3.20686; medium, stealth, raster 3D, framebuffer).
  • Not sure if relevant, but just in case - 7 active audio devices are being mixed into 6 tracks on recording.
Not sure where to continue with working on this problem, since all the regular stuff (reinstall game/drivers, check default settings, just check other settings, etcetra) has not brought me even a step closer to the solution. I've never experience a similar problem elsewhere, and my OBS setup works flawlessly in other games, regardless of how good or bad my PC is at running them.

Last edited:

onlinedude69

To anyone looking into this issue, the solution (as of OBS 26.0.2) is to use window capture or display capture. Game capture, as of writing, has a randomly occurring bug with capturing DX12 games, that has no known consistent mitigation available.