Black Magic Capture Card streaming suggestion/issue

igloo77055

This past weekend I went to stream a small local tournament, unfortunately their upload speed was terrible, I couldn't stream even at 100kb/s. The problem I had was that when I dropped connection from twitch OBS would freeze and try to reconnect, during this time the game went out on the players and they were staring at a black screen, this happened twice during one of my matches so I had to stop streaming, of course if they had a better connection this wouldn't have happened but sometimes internet connections can be unstable, at home my router crapped while I was streaming and the same thing happened just like at the tournament.

With that issue I wouldn't recommend OBS for streaming tournaments, there are workarounds for this like using a splitter and then feeding one into the monitor and the other to the capture card, unfortunately I was capturing a PS3 via Component because of HDCP and the monitors we use for the players only have hdmi, so I feed in Component and output HDMI with my capture card, it seemed to introduce lag too, but that's a different issue.

My suggestion is to not cut off communication with the capture card whenever OBS loses internet connection, this may just be a problem with my specific capture card, I don't know how others treat this. My capture card is a Black Magic Intensity Pro.

Seikenfreak

Just wanted to bump this old thread. Recently started using OBS and today using it with my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for the first time streaming PS3.

It seems to be losing connection to Twitch every once in a awhile. First time was after an hour and since then its been more often than that.

The real issue is what this person pointed out. Every time it happens I am losing all visuals for about 10 seconds each time until it reconnects to Twitch. This is super frustrating. The way you need to be actively streaming or running a stream preview for the capture card to be active and passing a picture through.

3389055214.png

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
2 things:

1) The current version of OBS can be set such that, if you are both recording and streaming and the stream cuts out, you can keep the recording going, which will keep the preview going. So I believe this problem is already solvable with the current version of OBS.

2) The OBS rewrite will have an always-running preview, so the problem will be solved when that is released.