Black Bars when Video Recording

Alberturkey

Hi All,

I'm very new to OBS, I really appreciate any help (apologies if this has been dealt with before).

I simply want to film myself for a youtube video. I have a HD Pro Webcam C920 which films at 1080p. My monitor is native resolution 2560x1440p.

The problem is that my videos have black bars on either side. See file attached to show the problem.

Troubleshooting:
- I tried changing the Base (Canvas) Resolution in OBS settings to 1920x1080 to match the Output (Scaled) Resolution of 1920x1080 but it didn't work.
- I can stretch the image to fit the screen but then the image is very distorted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Black Bars on screen problem.JPG
    Black Bars on screen problem.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 8

Suslik V

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm very new to OBS, I really appreciate any help (apologies if this has been dealt with before).
it has been, many times, but that is okay
I simply want to film myself for a youtube video. I have a HD Pro Webcam C920 which films at 1080p. My monitor is native resolution 2560x1440p.
The problem is that my videos have black bars on either side. See file attached to show the problem.
actually, not necessarily. and before you get upset, there is an critical distinction to consider.
There is what is recording to the video file, and then there is what you see on a given display device.
do NOT assume because viewing on a single monitor, that the black bars are in your videos.
Easy test, connect your computer up to a TV or other monitor .... and use a different video viewing app - now how does it look?

Troubleshooting:
- I tried changing the Base (Canvas) Resolution in OBS settings to 1920x1080 to match the Output (Scaled) Resolution of 1920x1080 but it didn't work.
- I can stretch the image to fit the screen but then the image is very distorted.

My initial thought (without calculating) is one of differing aspect ratios.... but [as I'm sure those more into this than I knew immediately] 256x1440 is 16:9, same as 1920x1080.
so... that wasn't it....

To avoid re-scaling (good for video quality, generally), setting Base and Output resolution to camera resolution is a good idea... probably.
The issue is, what are you capturing? The webcam directly as a Video Source? if yes, be sure to check its properties and that you are actually getting the resolution you expect... you may not be
OR, are you displaying webcam on screen, along with other content (like an application), and doing a screen capture? in which case, different recommendation

Assuming webcam direct into OBS Studio, then setting Base and Output resolution to camera resolution output is what I'd do [first confirming exact webcam output, not assuming]
In the picture in your original post, have you checked the video file for exactly what resolution/aspect ratio is has? And have you tried a different video player [you could be simply having an issue of a setting within your video player (viewer)]