Beware: OBS + ChromaCam (bug?)

BMoney

Hi Everyone,

I want to share a problem of OBS + ChromaCam and how I solved it, and that there is a bug.

Until a week ago, OBS Studio was working perfectly while preparing my lectures for online teaching (during these pandemic times). I wanted to add me into the picture using a green screen and installed ChromaCam following the instructions on: https://technology.amis.nl/2020/06/...-yourself-in-your-presentation-live-for-free/ Everything was working fine.

And then for some unknown reason, a week ago when I tried to use or add a Video Capture Source, the OBS starts to hang forever on Windows10 (now with 2004 update). Both the Camera App and Zoom can detect and access all my cameras (physical & virtual), so the hardware is not at fault. Before hanging, the OBS log gives the following error:

12:10:53.135: User added source 'Video Capture Device' (dshow_input) to scene 'Scene'
12:10:53.182: Video Capture Device: DecodeDeviceId failed
12:10:53.182: Video Capture Device: Video configuration failed

It gives this error for any Video Capture Device including virtual ones, suggesting that it is not hardware specific. I scoured internet fora for days to find a fix this, but found nothing to solve my problem. The checks or actions undertaken are:

Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool which tells me that 5 Video Capture Devices are detected.
Checked Settings -> Privacy settings for Camera App.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, disabled, re-enabled the cameras in Device Management
Run OBS Studio as Administrator
Deleted %appdata%obs-studio and restarted OBS.
OBS log tells me that the proprietary Anti-virus is not active and not preventing access to hardware.
Uninstalled and reinstalled, updated OBS Studio (now version 26.0.02 64-bit).
Updated camera drivers and Windows versions, all to no effect.
Modified registry settings to ensure Apps and software have access to webcams or virtual cameras.
I am unable to modify any OBS Video Capture Device settings (such as FPS) as OBS hangs indefinitely.

None of these actions solve the problem. All of these tell me that the problem is elsewhere. But I had exhausted all online tips and solutions, and run out of ideas where to look. Curiously, Skype cannot find a camera or microphone device and I suspect that this is related. Searching the Skype Forum I find a post recommending to uninstall ChromaCam. This fixed the issue for both OBS and Skype.

Then, searching the OBS forum for ChromaCam reveals others have had a similar issue, but I would never have guessed to search for ChromaCam.

Given that other software (Zoom, Camera App) were working fine, this suggests a bug in OBS when using ChromaCam.

Thanks,
Ben