Best settings?

albert1234

Hello, i got some problems recently with the Obs studio and i don't know why...
I got an i5-4590 3.8 ghz, 8gb of ram, gtx 960 oc.
I cant record crisps videos anymore in obs and i dont know if there is an obs problem. Although if you have recommendations for the setiings please let me know how i should improve . Basically (for example) when i enter a fight in mount and blade warband it gets very blurry after uploading the video to youtube whick was not the case some time ago. The Obs settings are the same as then and i did all the updates for the drivers and obs. The thing is, all i want is a good looking crisp video when i upload it but now everything i do does not work. I really don't know what to do and im really desperate... pls HELP!
(sorry for bad english)
Here are the Settings:
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Last edited:

FerretBomb

1) NEVER RECORD TO MP4 DIRECTLY, FOR ANY REASON. It is not a recording-safe format; if anything goes wrong during the recording, even for a split second, the ENTIRE recording will be corrupted and absolutely not recoverable by any means. Record to MKV, and remux to MP4 after the recording is complete from OBS' File menu, Remux Recordings.

2) Record using CQP or CRF, not CBR. CBR is only used for streaming, where the back-end infrastructure requires it. CQP/CRF are quality-target based encodes, and will use as much or as little bitrate as is needed to maintain a constant image quality. No wasting bitrate on simple/slow scenes, no choking on fast-moving or complex scenes. 22 is a good starting point. 16 will result in much larger files, but near-perfect video. 12 should only be used if you plan to edit and re-encode later, and will be VERY large. Anything lower than 12 shouldn't be used unless you know exactly why you need it, and what problems it can cause.

3) Use the Quality preset, not Max Quality. Likewise, turn off Psychovisual Tuning. Both of these options use CUDA cores, and tend to cause significant problems like encoding overload when it should otherwise not be happening.

albert1234

Thank you so much, but if you say 16 is near perfect should i then use 15 on even 14 on the CQP? I dont really care how large the files are, i just want the best quality video.

FerretBomb

Thank you so much, but if you say 16 is near perfect should i then use 15 on even 14 on the CQP? I dont really care how large the files are, i just want the best quality video.
16 is essentially visually lossless. Going lower will increase "invisible" quality... stuff that the human eye isn't going to perceive, but will make a difference to the computer if you plan to edit the video (which then has to re-encode it).
12 is about the lowest I'd ever go without a very specific reason... the file sizes get huge, FAST.

Paras1404

1) NEVER RECORD TO MP4 DIRECTLY, FOR ANY REASON. It is not a recording-safe format; if anything goes wrong during the recording, even for a split second, the ENTIRE recording will be corrupted and absolutely not recoverable by any means. Record to MKV, and remux to MP4 after the recording is complete from OBS' File menu, Remux Recordings.

2) Record using CQP or CRF, not CBR. CBR is only used for streaming, where the back-end infrastructure requires it. CQP/CRF are quality-target based encodes, and will use as much or as little bitrate as is needed to maintain a constant image quality. No wasting bitrate on simple/slow scenes, no choking on fast-moving or complex scenes. 22 is a good starting point. 16 will result in much larger files, but near-perfect video. 12 should only be used if you plan to edit and re-encode later, and will be VERY large. Anything lower than 12 shouldn't be used unless you know exactly why you need it, and what problems it can cause.

3) Use the Quality preset, not Max Quality. Likewise, turn off Psychovisual Tuning. Both of these options use CUDA cores, and tend to cause significant problems like encoding overload when it should otherwise not be happening.
I have a doubt regarding this sir, you said to use 22 or 16, so we cannot use anything in between ? or you just gave the range for a good quality to visually lossless