Question / Help Best settings for my setup

Manfrex

Hello! My setup is kinda old so I can't find any guides that tells me exactly which settings to choose. Maybe someone can help me and tell me which setting is better for me to stream with obs studio.

Ok here we go:
-> I want to stream 720p/60fps (if possible)

My connection is 300mb down / 150mb up so it won't be a problem.

My SETUP:

CPU: I5 4670K @4.5GHz (overclocked)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: NVIDIA Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming

I'd like to stream games like PUBG, Apex, SCUM, DayZ, World of Warcraft and MOBA games.

My encoder options are:
Intel QuickSync, which I don't know if it's good enough cause my cpu is 4th gen (Haswell) and its iGPU is an Intel HD 4600
x264, my cpu is overclocked to 4.5GHz (from 3.4GHz turbo boosted to 3.8GHz), maybe it can handle this encoder?
NVENC (new or old?), my gpu is kinda new but I don't know if it will overload while gaming and streaming

Anyway, which one is the best option?

PS: Sorry, English isn't my first language.

carlmmii

QuickSync is basically out of the question, as it loses on every front to NVenc.

Your CPU is only going to be able to handle x264 veryfast encoding on only the least demanding games. Basically everything on your list except for MOBAs are going to slam your CPU.

Just use NVenc and call it good. You're on a 1060, so yes, you're not on the latest Turing encoder tech, but it's at least going to be comparable to x264 veryfast in most cases. Plus, since you're aiming for 720p60 (which I assume is for twitch?), throwing 6000kbps at it is actually going to result in decent quality.

Manfrex

QuickSync is basically out of the question, as it loses on every front to NVenc.

Your CPU is only going to be able to handle x264 veryfast encoding on only the least demanding games. Basically everything on your list except for MOBAs are going to slam your CPU.

Just use NVenc and call it good. You're on a 1060, so yes, you're not on the latest Turing encoder tech, but it's at least going to be comparable to x264 veryfast in most cases. Plus, since you're aiming for 720p60 (which I assume is for twitch?), throwing 6000kbps at it is actually going to result in decent quality.

Thank you for helping me! Yeah you are right, NVENC will be the best option! Yes it's for twitch! About NVENC setting should I use Max Quality or Quality? Or even something else?

Should I also uncheck look-ahead and check psycho visual running? In both of these option's description it's saying that will consume more GPU, but most guides say to uncheck the first one and check the second one. Thanks in advance.

carlmmii

Leave it at Quality, and leave look-ahead and psycho visual tuning off. All of these options require extra GPU usage to perform these functions. If you were only doing capture, it would be fine to use these... but since you're on a single-box setup, you're using your GPU for games, so it's best to not need to rely on extra GPU resources.

Manfrex

Thank you again! These are my settings right now:

1579238829292.png

1579238875694.png

I'll try and test it tomorrow! One more thing: should I change something in advanced options? Like OBS Process Priority? Or even start obs as admin?

carlmmii

OBS priority should be high, and to have the best shot at avoiding rendering lag, you should run OBS as admin, and have windows game mode on. 24.0.3 has a beta feature that's supposed to tell windows to actually include it in the GPU prioritization, but ymmv.

If you do have issues with anything, you can always post your log files from the recording/streaming session, and we can take a full look at what's going on.

Manfrex

Ok, thank you so much! I'll try these settings today or tomorrow and if I get any problem i'll post here!