Best quality settings for recording?

bsdinis

What is the best quality I can get for recordings, without going lossless video? I am currently using the settings from these screenshots

1669317604471.png
1669317607890.png
1669317610960.png

bsdinis

For streaming on youtube, I set the frame rate to 60 under Video, and set NV12 color format and Partial color range under Advanced.
Do these settings look ok?

Harold

No. You should not be using custom ffmpeg output for your use case
Switch output mode back to simple, set the recording quality to "Indistinguishable"
Recording format to MKV
Try the various encoders in the list until you get one that performs correctly for your system

You should ALWAYS be using partial/limited range color, as the entire video industry has standardized on it, and using full range color will lead to color distortion for your viewers.
NV12 or P010 color format should be set

bsdinis

No. You should not be using custom ffmpeg output for your use case
Switch output mode back to simple, set the recording quality to "Indistinguishable"
Recording format to MKV
Try the various encoders in the list until you get one that performs correctly for your system

You should ALWAYS be using partial/limited range color, as the entire video industry has standardized on it, and using full range color will lead to color distortion for your viewers.
NV12 or P010 color format should be set
In simple mode it's not possible to encode the audio in FLAC.
If I'm recording, not streaming, why should I use partial instead of full range? If I decide to upload it later, yt converts it to partial.
I want my videos to look as lossless as possible without actually going lossless due to the file size (100mbps is manageable), that's why I'm using RGB to avoid chroma subsampling. If I decide to upload it later, yt should also convert it without any problems just like the color range.

Harold

If I'm recording, not streaming, why should I use partial instead of full range? If I decide to upload it later, yt converts it to partial.
Because youtube will likely, instead of actually converting with tone mapping, instead distort the colors in the conversion.

No it's not possible to use flac audio in simple output mode.