Base [Canvas] Resolution and Output Resolution - Limited by Canvas Border?

Videobuff

Out of curiosity, and to ensure I minimize the amount of post-production work I have to do, when broadcasting and/or recording using OBS, am I correct is saying that the ONLY output from OBS is what appears within the confines of the Canvas window? Irrespective of resolutions chosen? There's no way for anything outside the borders of the canvas to actually appear in the broadcasted and/or recorded output? Irrespective of Base [canvas] Resolution, output [Scaled] Resolution, etc? I'd like to be certain about this BEFORE I commence a 2 day project.

koala

Yes.

Without knowing what you're trying to achieve or avoid, there is no more sophisticated answer.

Videobuff

Yes.

Without knowing what you're trying to achieve or avoid, there is no more sophisticated answer
Thank you, that's what I thought. It makes complete sense to me that the canvas window should provide the ultimate border to what's actually broadcast. Without mentioning names, I had an issue with another application where the output to a virtual camera contained more than what was included in the program's canvas window...which screwed up the project. Just wanted to be sure OBS didn't suffer from the same issue.

koala

The virtual camera, well... If you click the configuration wheel next to the "Start Virtual Camera" button, you have a small configuration dialog where you can select alternative outputs for the virtual camera. You can also select a scene and even a certain source. OBS outputs exactly what is configured there. It defaults to the program output.

Videobuff

Thanks again @koala . I see "Scene" and "Source" outputs in the "Output Type" dropdown which are pretty self explanatory but I'm unsure about "Internal" output? Can you clarify that one?
For the "Output Selection" dropdown I expect the options refer to the two output screens available in Studio Mode but correct me if I'm missing something.
Per usual, I'll do some trial-and-error testing of the various dropdown selections but if you have any clarification of what selecting "Internal" output means under "Output Type" it might be helpful.

At the end of the day and going back to my original question it does seem in OBS that no matter what resolution options are selected, then the output from OBS (incl output from the OBS Virtual Camera) is defined by the borders of the canvas, which makes complete sense to me. It was only when I saw something different happen in an alternative program that I thought I'd just ask about OBS. Thanks.