Question / Help Bad performance, low resource use.

Zaevansious

I'll start off by saying, I'm trying to stream Overwatch and Playerunknown Battlegrounds. In OBS I use X264 encoding, currently on the superfast preset. Anything more nets me lag that is headache inducing. I play on 1920x1080 with a refresh rate of 144hz. I down scale the output from OBS to 720p 60fps, both in the output tab, and the video tab. (See bottom of post for PC specs).

While playing and streaming (on a single PC setup), if I exceed the super fast preset, or have my in game graphics too high, I get either way lower frames, or I get slightly less frames, but with what seems like a much lower refresh rate. It's almost like the fps is high but the refresh rate is set to 30. Very undesirable, both in game and on stream. I have set the affinities for both OBS and the games to high, which yielded a very very minor improvement. So I opened task manager and CAM to see what my PC is doing while streaming. My CPU doesn't go past 50% unless I go over the faster preset I'm obs. My ram, all 32GB of it, doesn't notice anything going on, it sits at 15% most of the time. My graphics card gets up to about 70%, which isn't bad at all, and my Temps never exceed 65c.

Im at wits end with this right now. I'm to the point where I almost want to just give up on any decent quality stream. It's gets me down so much that I hardly stream anymore. Even the few followers I have, starts messaging me on steam and Discord asking where the F I've been. Is there any way to make this experience more satisfactory, without spending another $1200 on a dedicated streaming PC? I really don't have the funds for that right now. Or maybe even make OBS use more of my CPU without affecting my games, or vice versa?

Specs:
I7 6800k @3.4ghz (3.6 turbo)
Gtx 1080 evga
32GB gskill tridentz @3000mhz
500GB Samsung Evo 960 NVME SSD
500GB Sata SSD
MSI X99 workstation motherboard

Fenrir

Forum Admin
So your PC can't hold 144 steady? That's your issue then. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. Enable vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage. If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game.

Zaevansious

So your PC can't hold 144 steady? That's your issue then. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. Enable vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage. If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game.

I will try to find a way to limit my frame rate in PUBG, Overwatch has an option to limit framerate. I play Overwatch on lowest settings to get the best FPS, but I still have issues with that. I was just hoping there was some cheat code that would force either OBS or a game to use more resources or make one or the other use specific cores. Anytime I try that though something turns into stop motion.