Background noise on video

ubuntuUser

Hello,
I have just started to learn OBS, on my Ubuntu 22.04 OS.
As of now, I can't even make a most basic full-screen recording, there's a huge background noise,
see attached video.
How can I fix this ?

Attachments

• 2024-09-06 16-11-54.zip
    842.2 KB · Views: 14

newbie-02

background noise is 'normal' on microphones, a web search should have thrown 100's
of solution on you. Either add some filters to your audio input device configuration, or
try 'noisetorch', which has the advantage of same characteristic if you later record
supplemental audio.

AaronD

Two obvious problems:
  • It's horribly clipped! Loud and distorted. Just turn it down, and it'll be much cleaner/clearer.
  • There is indeed some background noise, but it's the typical "electronic white noise" that you can never get rid of completely. However, turning it down to solve the first problem will also help this one as a welcome side-effect.
Make a clean recording, with low enough volume to not clip, and see what else there is, if anything.

---

Note: It does make a difference *where* you turn it down. If the mic itself is clipping, then turning down OBS won't clear it up. It'll just be softer and just as distorted. You'll need to figure out *where* in the processing chain it's clipping, and turn it down there or immediately before.

ubuntuUser

There is indeed some background noise, but it's the typical "electronic white noise" that you can never get rid of completely.
With the help of your indications, I finally found a way to make it almost imperceptible.

If I understand correctly, my mistake was to turn on some internal mic during recording (the correct config is shown in the image below, where that microphone is dashed out) :
Pasted image.png