automate: make windowed projector of preview, resize window, move it, set it on all desktops, prevent it from disappearing on escape key

Joe1

dear obs-ers,

as i wrote in the title, i want to do and automate any/all of the following steps:
  • first, i create the windowed projector of the preview every time i start obs.
  • i don't know how to do this, but if i did i would trim off the left and right edges of the preview which are (by a deliberate choice of mine) completely black.
  • next, i resize it quite small, roughly 10% of screen width.
  • then i move it to a particular position. generally i put it on the right edge about 2/3 of the way down.
  • finally, i set it up to show in all desktops, not just one.
  • i don't know how to do this, but i then want to make it immortal so that i can't accidentally kill it by pressing escape. (yes i have seen several threads on this forum about this issue.) i still might need to focus it so i can minimize it so it won't show while i temporarily share my screen, but i will want to restore it after i stop sharing my screen.
the point is that i want to know what obs is sending on the virtual camera, but i will be operating on a different virtual desktop than the main obs control window (and in any case i don't want to see the main obs window, but just want to see the preview at a very small size).

right now setting this up takes me many mouse motions and clicks which is hard as i have parkinson's.

i can automate much of this with utilities like xdotool or wmctrl, but i do not know how to automate the creation of the windowed projector. it would be fantastic if this could be handed by obs studio.

i also do not know how to prevent the escape key from killing the windowed projector without also preventing it from ever receiving keyboard focus, which i would rather not do.

and i also do not know how to trim off the completely black left and right edges of my preview. (for the curious, the reason why i've left the black left and right edges on what would otherwise be a square video is that some video conferencing systems exhibit very buggy handling of uncommon frame sizes (e.g., square frames with a 1:1 aspect ratio) but do well with common aspect ratios (e.g., 16:9). so i send them a lot of extra black pixels and they are much happier.)

any suggestions?

thanks very much for your attention!

with my best wishes,
joe

p.s. long live free/open/non-proprietary software!