Bug Report Auto-update fails with error "Couldn't load manifest file"

kbd2019

Just saw an auto-update when started OBS studio but after clicking "yes, update" I got this error and update was aborted:

1.PNG

I'm running Windows 10 x64. OBS was running under a standard (non-admin) user account. After auto-update notification, I had to type in my Admin password into a UAC prompt before that error was shown. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
OBS downloads update info to the AppData folder, so if the user and admin are not the same user account the update will fail.

koala

No, not a bug. It's even security best practice. Many apps do updates this way. If the admin is a different person, and you don't have admin permissions, you cannot let the admin start something a user downloaded from a security point of view. It might be some malware the user downloaded. The admin MUST download the package himself for security reasons, and this is what happens if the admin has to ignore the internal updater and has to download+install the full installer instead.

Last edited:

kbd2019

No, not a bug. It's even security best practice. Many apps do updates this way. If the admin is a different person, and you don't have admin permissions, you cannot let the admin start something a user downloaded from a security point of view. It might be some malware the user downloaded. The admin MUST download the package himself for security reasons, and this is what happens if the admin has to ignore the internal updater and has to download+install the full installer instead.
Are you a developer?

wfl

Your current installation may be damaged. You can uninstall OBS, download the full OBS from the official download page manually https://obsproject.com/download and install. Your configuration is not touched by this.
This solved it for me. I found I had to do a reboot after the uninstall before the install would work. Anyway, the new version is installed and I still have my previous config intact.