Auto-update beta subscription

Muf

Forum Moderator
Since adding files to the updater requires extra administrative work, I don't think this is particularly suited to test versions which can change every day or every hour sometimes. Ultimately it's up to Jim though.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The updater is generally fine, it's simple and it works, may not have a million features but I don't mind particularly. Having people download tests specifically is also something I don't mind either, it somewhat even as it keeps them active on the forums and such as well

Bensam123

lol... doing it to keep some of us shacked to the forums, weak. :p

I suggested it as sometimes I like being subscribed to newer test versions... I thought something like this could be automated easily.

Netoen

Fully agree with idea, it's quiet needed feature, at least while program is in beta.
But realization imo should be something like:
Add item in Main_menu => Help => "Check for updates" with popup window. In window something like 3 buttons ("Check", "Update"{if available} and "Download latest test version"), progress bar and somekind of label to show update results.
P.S. it would save many kitties ^_^

One thing I've realized is if using the last test version of a version of OBS (for example test 11) then OBS won't update to just say v0.467a without the test.

This probably happens from no files being differed or altered from test 11 to stable release. Just something I would like to see happen though, I'm OCD like that :P.

Grimio

No, it's because the auto updater is disabled in test releases. It makes sense during the testing, because you sometimes want to switch between many versions and test how the new stuff is working.

Bensam123

Yeah or a checkbox in advanced... There are a bunch of different ways to do this. Even offer a pull down menu with the latest test versions to install.

Grimio

I hope I don't appear like I'm against the feature, I just think that it shouldn't work exactly like the non-test updater.
The best way I can imagine going about this is to auto-update every test version to the stable one as soon as the next stable version is out and leave the different test versions alone until then.

Bensam123

Sure. That's why you make sure you bury the option in advanced or provide a warning box or even prompt users when a new version comes out that's newer then their test version.

Grimio

It would work without any user interaction. The test version would look for a new release like a normal non-test version and update when the stable release is out.

Having it work without any user interaction is not a very good idea. What if people like to stay a version or few behind to see how the newer versions work before updating? Your method makes it so that that cannot happen.

To be honest I would love to see a few options for the updater.

A drop down menu
---Keep OBS up to date
---Keep OBS up to date but ask to install newer versions
---Don't keep OBS up to date (manual update by user needed)

And a check box
---Opt into test versions (will update to the newest test version available.