Auto Screen Shots While Streaming?

Boskosauce

Not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking that we'd be able to have an option for OBS to take screen shots every *specified* seconds. I guess similar to what FRAPS can do, but while streaming.

If this was already suggested, I apologize.

Also, I am absolutely loving OBS. Using it more than Xsplit or FFSplit lately. It's all I use now. Thanks for the great work!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Re: Auto Screen Shots White Streaming?

I could make it take screenshots, but what would be the purpose of making it take screenshots every [x] seconds?

nakomaru

I also think this would be a nice feature to have as a replacement for using FRAPS to periodically take screenshots for DX fullscreen exclusive games.

I would prefer not having to actually be streaming though. Perhaps while previewing the stream it would be possible to save to png periodically or via a hotkey.

WoofDg79

It would actually be nice to have a feature where you can hit a button to take a screenshot, similar to how Steam can take screenshots by hitting F12. I realize that this software was primarily made for recording/streaming video games and most games allow for a screenshot these days, but there are applications where having a button to take a screenshot would be very beneficial and not all games have that option.

It also has great business-related reasons for a screenshot, if you're using OBS to record a conference call or presentation and you want a screenshot of a slide. In particular, where I work we sometimes use video recording software to record crawlers that we have (automated tools which "crawl" over a website to verify functionality), and when those crawlers fail we take a screenshot so we can see where it failed.

Anyway, just my two cents I guess. I think it'd be nice for gaming, for business, or anything really. OBS has a lot of potential.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
I realize that this software was primarily made for recording/streaming video games
This is not true. OBS is not primarily for capturing gameplay. Gameplay capture is one of the things it can be used for, and that is something that a lot of people use it for, but it is not its "primary" purpose. It is a program for general recording and streaming for content of all kinds.

WoofDg79

My mistake! I knew it was capable of general use, but I was unaware it's initial purpose was general use. Either way, OBS is a fantastic program and beats everything else I've tried.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
It's an understandable mistake...the homepage shows a bunch of video games, and the chat is hosted on Quakenet, so a lot of people assume it's just for video games. It's definitely a messaging conflict, in my opinion.

Videophile

Elgato
This, and a screenshot function would be very cool in general. Should be fairly easy to just pull 1 frame out right?(Coming from the little coding experience that I have).

-Shrimp