Question / Help Audio stutter

OatmealMu

Here's the situation: I stream myself drawing/painting in Photoshop to Justin.tv. I play music using foobar2000. I have an Xsplit Personal license, and use it to broadcast. When I heard about OBS, I gave it a shot. The picture quality is superb and the program doesn't bog down my aging system. Audio, on the other hand, is problematic -- viewers are plagued with sound rapidly cutting in and out, creating a stuttering effect. Funny thing is, Xsplit used to have this exact same problem. A recent patch fixed the issue.

Any ideas? I've tried both AAC and MP3 formats, as well as both the 32 and 64-bit versions. The problem still remains.

Thanks.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hey. If possible could you post a log? Here's how you can do it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Also, just so you know, you don't necessarily have to have your viewers test it for you, you can always just test it out by yourself by using the "save to file only" option in broadcast settings (all your broadcast settings are saved if you switch back).

Anyway, if there's sound stuttering issue, the thing that comes to mind is another one of those annoying timestamp issues that some computers can have. Could you try the "sync fix" option in advanced, and let me know if it changes anything?

OatmealMu

Here's the code from the latest test broadcast. Looking over it, it seems the fix is already applied. And the reason I did a live test was because of a mishap with AMIP and Photoshop (AMIP disables Photoshops' "Step Backwards" shortcut). I'm making a point to do more real-world condition tests. Thanks for the advice, though.

Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.432a - 64bit ( ^ω^)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
CPU Speed: 2913MHz
Physical Memory:  8189MB Total, 2250MB Free
stepping id: 2, model 5, family 15, type 0, extmodel 8, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 4, total cores 4
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 1025179648
  Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 3221368832
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1920x1080
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: "What U Hear" (Creative SB Audigy)
Audio Encoding: MP3
    bitrate: 128
  Using audio/video sync fix
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 15
    width: 1920, height: 1080
    quality: 7
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 1000
    buffer size: 1000
Total frames rendered: 24, number of frames that lagged: 0 (0.00%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================
Send Buffer Size: 8196
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1920x1080
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: "What U Hear" (Creative SB Audigy)
Audio Encoding: MP3
    bitrate: 128
  Using audio/video sync fix
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 15
    width: 1920, height: 1080
    quality: 7
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 1000
    buffer size: 1000
Total frames rendered: 46890, number of frames that lagged: 16 (0.03%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Number of b-frames dropped: 0, Number of p-frames dropped: 0
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 23.066 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 73.1%] [unaccounted: 26.9%]
| scene->Preprocess - [32.8%] [avg time: 7.566 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [40.3%] [avg time: 9.293 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 21%] [unaccounted: 19.3%]
| | CopyResource - [0.117%] [avg time: 0.027 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [0.403%] [avg time: 0.093 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [20.4%] [avg time: 4.716 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
how come you're using "what you hear" as an auxility audio source?

OatmealMu

Actually, I did it out of habit. This is how I do it in Xsplit. Lo and behold, I switched to "Default" and the audio stutter appears to be gone. I'll figure out a way to break it again, though.

Thanks for the help!