Question / Help audio only recording

localdevjs

I'm trying to record an audio file.

I go to settings > output > recording > type = custom output (ffmpeg) and then change container format to "wav", disable the "video encoder" and set audio encoder to pcm_s16le (default encoder).

Hit "start recording", a file is created in the output dir. Wait a few seconds, hit "stop recording" and the button changes to "stopping recording..." but never stops. File stays same size (few bytes). Wait 5+ minutes and hit the button again, finally stops, but file is pretty much empty and doesn't playback anything in vlc or any other media player.

So what am I doing wrong?

Yes I can use audacity to record, but I want to stream video + audio, and record audio only. I shouldn't need another program to do this when OBS appears like it has 99% of whatever it takes to get this going.

I've tried changing all the audio encoders, mp3, mp4 with video encoder disabled. Nothing works until I record both audio + video.

Tuna

The muxer probably waits for video to arrive to sync audio and video correctly. The logic most likely isn't build with audio only in mind since this is really not what OBS was made for.

localdevjs

The muxer probably waits for video to arrive to sync audio and video correctly. The logic most likely isn't build with audio only in mind since this is really not what OBS was made for.

That may be possible; but why is there an option for "disable encoder" under the video settings then? And all the container formats that are "audio only" like "wav", "mp3" etc?

Seems to me like we're 99% there and I'm just missing a flag or a setting somewhere to get this working.