Audio issues after a while

ItsTheNiz

Hi guys. When I´m livestreaming suddenly after a while (can be 20 minutes or 2 hours) either my game sound or my music starts to sound horrible, but never my mic. Then after I muted the sound for a few seconds, it works again. But everytime someone from my chat has to inform me about the poor quality and as you can understand that´s frustrating. I can´t find a single video about it online, so I hope someone here is capable of helping me.

AaronD

How are you capturing the bad audio? The Application and Game sources are known to do this, with no fix yet.

The workaround is to use the older, "catch-all" sources, that grab whatever a particular device does, as if you had a wire from the physical output back to an input. And then you control separately, what goes to that device, because it does catch *everything* that that device does. Virtual devices work just as well for this as physical ones, if you'd rather install one of those than buy a cheap USB plug.

ItsTheNiz

I am not noticing the bad audio by myself, because I don´t hear a problem with the game sound or the music, for me it´s always fine, but the viewers do. It´s the same with discord. When I´m in a call for a few hours there is no problem with the audio, but when I stream the discord audio, the issues start after a while and I have to mute it. But other than the game or music sound, I can here the bad quality with discord by myself. The people then sound laggy, like on a really old walkie-talkie.

I want to be quite honest, I´m not a native speaker, so I´m not entirely sure what I should do as workaround. Do you mean capturing every sound by desktop audio and not game sound, music, discord individually would help? Is that what you mean with "catch-all"?

And of course thanks for your quick reply

AaronD

The Desktop source in Settings -> Audio, and the Audio Output Capture that you put in a scene, both capture the entire output of the device that you connect them to. Then you can send other apps to that same device, and OBS will pick them up.

But those sources do capture EVERYTHING that that device does. If you also have system sounds and OBS's Monitor going there, you'll get those too. In the case of OBS's Monitor, that's a very common cause of an echo: having the Monitor and a Capture set to the same device.

Try to use different devices if you can, so you can avoid having those two things set to the same one. If you don't have that many audio devices, then don't use the Monitor. Turn it off for every source, including the ones that are not active at the moment. Uncheck the box in the bottom left corner of the Advanced Audio Properties to see everything.

Suslik V

It seems that you run into the issue known as:

On this forum you can find similar issue in (and in some other related threads):

If you (for yourself) confirmed that you have this issue and you wish to help to resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

LJSR07

I have been using obs for about 2 months and after a few days it just quits capturing any audio. Can't figure out for nothing. I always end up Uninstaller and reinstall and it works fine. WTF. Ugh. So frustrating.