Question / Help Audio is full of static and white noise

TypicalFuzzball

I can just faintly hear the static while im in the game that im recording but no audio setting changes would get it to go away, I honestly have no clue what could be causing this

SpectreKid

I can just faintly hear the static while im in the game that im recording but no audio setting changes would get it to go away, I honestly have no clue what could be causing this
So your log is fine. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll look into it later (I'll be back)

FerretBomb

It looks like you have both your microphone set up in the Global area (Settings->Audio, select from dropdown) and also as an Audio Input Capture named 'Mic/Aux' in your scene "Scene". It's probably not doing you any favors having it in twice; you should remove one or the other, and test again.

While doing the test recording, make sure to mute your mic, then the desktop audio, then unmute the mic, and finally unmute the desktop audio. That'll tell you where the static is coming from.

Honestly though, it's probably your microphone itself.
OBS applies NO default noise suppression to the incoming mic signal, like comm programs like Discord/Teamspeak/Skype do. Chances are pretty good... that's just what your mic actually sounds like.

You can right-click your mic in the mixer and choose Filters, then add any number of them that you like. I believe there is a Noise Suppression filter that works for some people. You can also install VSTs like ReaPlugs that can do a good job too.
Normally though, if it IS your mic, the easiest fix is to move it closer to your mouth (but still outside of the direct airstream when you breathe and talk) and turn the mic's gain level down. You'll get a better signal-to-noise ratio that way, and the self-noise (hiss) and other noise floor can be drastically reduced.

slime_boi89

I've been having kind of the same problem except that I turned my mic off and the fuzziness is coming through both my desktop and audion capture audio

nemes1s

i have the exact same problem but its only when i use air pods. i hear this white noise no matter what i do when i close obs then it goes back to normal. it also distorts the sound does anyone know how to help

fluffycritter

I'm having a similar problem, and I've verified that the noise is not coming from the microphone itself; the noise floor does not occur when I'm recording with Audacity or any other application which uses raw audio. What can I do to track down the issue?

The microphone itself is a USB microphone I got from Monoprice, for what it's worth, and this noise floor only started happening recently (possibly with the most recent OBS update).

quack4321

i have the exact same problem but its only when i use air pods. i hear this white noise no matter what i do when i close obs then it goes back to normal. it also distorts the sound does anyone know how to help
Yeah same, it only happens with my airpods pro.

RoninZULU

I have the same problem, sometimes with capturing Discord Audio, sometimes capturing a game i think this error come from the feature itself