Question / Help Audio dropouts when recording

Steely74

Hey guys! I'm new to OBS and love it so far. I've ran into a little issue on every capture I've done. I'm getting random very short audio dropouts. The video frame does not drop. I opened the files in Sony Vegas and can verify it's just the audio. I seem to get 5-6 per hour of footage. It's not from the source content as I captured the same stream 3 times and the dropouts were in different spots each time. A friend captured the same stream with no issues. I've disabled all Chrome extensions, turned off a/v. I only have one tab open and am not using the machine at all while it's capturing. Machine is i7-6700k, 32gb ram, Radeon rx 460, Soundblaster audio card. 400mb wired connection.

Thanks

Last edited:
Could it be my same problem?

Steely74

I have not tested with my mic or camera. In my case I was capturing a stream from a Chrome tab. I will try and play around with other recording scenarios and see if I get drops.

Pwicki

I am wondering if I also have the same problem @Steely74 - as I can show a video in OBS - that is on the computer, and hear the sound. Our issue is the sound continues to be pushed to the broadcast (Youtube in our case) & is being shown on the display, but all of a sudden the sound will drop & disappear from being able to hear it through the computer (which we have linked into a soundboard & speakers). As soon as I restart OBS, the sound is back. Same issue? Or different one than you describe?

Steely74

Mine are millisecond dropouts of the aduio. I'm not streaming, only recording video stream in Chrome. Opening the file in vegas confirms the video frame does not drop. I've attached an example of the audio wave form. I need to test this out in Firefox to see if it happens there as well. I won't be able to do that till Thursday.

dropout.JPG

Junevault

I did a clean install of Windows 10. Nothing installed but drivers, chrome and OBS. I still got audio dropouts!

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but we're experiencing the same issue.

Have you found a solution yet? The millisecond dropout happens when we're streaming and also when we're recording with OBS. Tried on two different Computers. We're using a PreSonus Studio 26 USB Interface. I can't reproduce the error in other recording programs such as StudioOne or Audacity.

Junevault

Here's what fixed it for us but it might just be because of our setup.

We use two SM7b's with Fetheads and phantom power on. Apparently, our PreSonus Studio 26 USB Interface couldn't provide enough power for both mics. Makes total sense in retrospect since the interface is only powered by one USB port. What's interesting is, that the issue only occurred in OBS. The exact same setup worked fine with other recording software.

Anyway, the solution: Bought an interface that has an additional port for power supply. No dropouts anymore.

dpower

I'm wondering if anyone's had luck figuring this out.

I'm getting dropouts every few minutes (i.e. on average every 1:30 to 2:45) in all OBS recordings. With few exceptions each of these dropouts (see image below) is exactly 21ms in length.

I'm recording audio at 48kHz to 192kbps AAC in an MKV wrapper. Dropouts only occur in the audio... not the video.

I'm using an AJA U-TAP SDI to capture audio and video and I've confirmed these dropouts don't happen when I record a WAV file directly from the device... only when recording in OBS.

Any thoughts? Solutions? Additional avenues of investigation?

@Steely74 ... any luck on your end?

P.S. The OBS logs look clean. No sign of problems.

Rx_OBS_Audio_Dropout.jpg

timday101

Did anyone get a response to this? I have the same thing. Recording into a dedicated machine (iMac running Catalina) using a Focusrite Saffire interface. Does it whether recording or streaming. I thought it was a sample rate mismatch issue but after spending time messing with sample rates it seems not. We're doing online music so it's a big problem for us. Had the same problem on Streamlabs OBS.

moovtune

I have the audio dropout issue also that looks the same as in entry 17. Mine occur in the audio only, about every 6 minutes 15 seconds. no matter how long the recording is. My latest recording, at 43 minute length had dropouts at 6:12, 12:32, 18:51, 25:10, 31:29 and 37:48. Video is fine. I've tried various settings with the same result. At a loss to figure out the issue. OBS is great, except for this problem.

rockbottom

Mine are millisecond dropouts of the aduio. I'm not streaming, only recording video stream in Chrome. Opening the file in vegas confirms the video frame does not drop. I've attached an example of the audio wave form. I need to test this out in Firefox to see if it happens there as well. I won't be able to do that till Thursday.

I noticed millisecond dropouts in a few recordings too, they were even showing up in my Audacity recordings. NDI was causing it on my system, stopped using it with OBS & the dropouts ceased.

I have the audio dropout issue also that looks the same as in entry 17. Mine occur in the audio only, about every 6 minutes 15 seconds. no matter how long the recording is. My latest recording, at 43 minute length had dropouts at 6:12, 12:32, 18:51, 25:10, 31:29 and 37:48. Video is fine. I've tried various settings with the same result. At a loss to figure out the issue. OBS is great, except for this problem.

Recorded @ 30 FPS, if I record @ 60 FPS the timing of the audio dropouts matches yours. It really looks like OBS is just re-syncing the audio, quickly & somewhat crudely. Some of the time it's inaudible but sometimes it's a click or swoosh.

Top recordings were done with Audacity, Bottom OBS. Markers where the dropouts occur in the OBS recording.

Vegas - FL32-H265 Comparision_01.JPG

Vegas - FL32-H265 Comparision_03.JPG

Vegas - FL32-H265 Comparision_02.JPG