Question / Help Audio Codec

blackmagic34

Hey all, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. So I've been recording with OBS. The quality is fine, my game doesn't lag.. problem is when I try to bring it into Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017, the files don't have any audio. After some research I learned the most likely cause is because the files are using the aac audio codec as opposed to mp3.

So I went and tried to convert the file's audio using some free software (any video converter) and still, when I bring it into Premiere, it still has no audio. (And the quality is crap.)

Is there a way to change the audio from aac to mp3 in the program? I see that there is an option to change it in the classic OBS.. but not studio.

c3r1c3

1. An MP4 file with MP3 audio is non-spec, and will not work in most software.
2. I import AAC audio (inside a MP4 file) all the time into Premiere with no issue.
3. How many audio channels are you recording into your MP4 file?
4. What do you have on each set of channels?

5. Do you hear Audio when your play your file in VLC? If not, then your audio isn't being recorded, and hence the issue exists earlier then Premiere.

blackmagic34

1. An MP4 file with MP3 audio is non-spec, and will not work in most software.
2. I import AAC audio (inside a MP4 file) all the time into Premiere with no issue.
3. How many audio channels are you recording into your MP4 file?
4. What do you have on each set of channels?

5. Do you hear Audio when your play your file in VLC? If not, then your audio isn't being recorded, and hence the issue exists earlier then Premiere.

Hey, thanks for your response! Really appreciate it, this is driving me nuts.
Alright, so that explains why that didn't work lol. So having aac audio in an mp4 should work with Premiere? I am using the 7-day trial version currently, not sure if that has an effect on anything.
At first I had I believe 3, but then I tried a recording with only one audio track to see if that was what was causing the issue. (I wanted to be able to have game audio on one track, voice on another track, and music on another, hence why I put three at first.)
I'm starting to think that the channels is what is messing things up.. I have mic/aux on track 2 and desktop audio on track 1.
I do hear audio when I play the file in VLC.

c3r1c3

In VLC you can switch audio channels. Do that to confirm that your mic is being recorded on channel 2.

As to Premiere, if you're running CC2014.3 or later you should be able to import the mp4 into Premiere, add it to a timeline, right-click on it and tell it to breakout the audio (sorry I can't be particular on the steps). If you do a Google Search, you should find a tutorial that explains how to break out the audio into separate tracks in Premiere.