Question / Help Audio Buffering and Jack - switch it off?

SubbrSchwob

Hi there,

I use OBS 25.0.2 on Kubuntu 18.04 with the kxStudio overlays. I use Jack for audio, so that I can wire LV2 plugins before OBS. (Windows users might insert VSTs in OBS directly.)

Sometimes, audio/video sync goes wrong terribly and I figured this happens when OBS reports this in the console during startup:
info: adding 232 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 232 milliseconds (source: OBS jack)

Whenever that happens, audio is too early. (I do latency adjustments externally anyways.) But this does not happen on every startup. Just every now and then. I had this some years back, when OBS even did this in the middle of the streaming, breaking a/v sync unpredictably.
Anyways, adding more buffering breaks a/v sync for me and I'd like to prevent this. However I cannot find any switch for this. Any hint would be helpful. Yesterday I messed up an entire concert because of this. :-/

Best
Schwob

SubbrSchwob

Sometimes, audio/video sync goes wrong terribly and I figured this happens when OBS reports this in the console during startup:
info: adding 232 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 232 milliseconds (source: OBS jack)

Actually more testing revealed that it is independent from this. There is no way for me of detecting it but using the clapperboard in a test recording. Restarting OBS helps. I need to test/restart until it works and then pray.