Question / Help ATEM Mini not showing up as a capture device in OBS

GSWhite

I need help troubleshooting. OBS does not recognize my ATEM mini as a capture device.
I can get the ATEM control software up so I know it's hooked up correctly.

Where should I start looking.

Kleptoctopus

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue. Could you clarify what exactly you did? GSWhite, what do you mean by your camera setting in windows was turned off? The Windows camera app? And Magnel, what was on your computer that you turned off and on?

For me, the ATEM Mini works perfectly with Skype, and it seems to have worked on OBS when I uninstalled the ATEM software, but then it would stop after a period. Thanks for the help!

ChrisMChristian

Dang this is a VERY common problem. I too am having this problem. Here is what I have checked:
  1. Yes, I have already looked at web security
  2. Yes, the ATEM mini camera feed works (I can see it in the Camera app and other tools NO PROB)
  3. Yes, I have uninstalled ATEM mini and re-installed the latest
  4. Yes, I have uninstalled OBS Studio and re-installed the latest
  5. Yes, I tried launching OBS Studio as Admin
  6. Yes, I tried creating a new Scene with nothing in it but a basic Video Capture pointed at the Black Magic ATEM
  7. Yes, I went into to advanced settings for the camera and didn't see any other app that currently was using the ATEM

It just plain doesn't work, all I get when I choose the Black Magic ATEM is black nothing. I have tons of scene's and Stream Deck multi-actions, and hot keys all set up for OBS and it failed me at the absolute worst time today for a big customer video conference. I ended up having to use the Sony Imaging Edge web cam option, but couldn't use my other 3 cameras or any of my fancy scenes I spent tons of time setting up. EVERYTHING worked just fine last night and then the next day it quits RIGHT before the meeting.

ChrisMChristian

Dang this is a VERY common problem. I too am having this problem. Here is what I have checked:
  1. Yes, I have already looked at web security
  2. Yes, the ATEM mini camera feed works (I can see it in the Camera app and other tools NO PROB)
  3. Yes, I have uninstalled ATEM mini and re-installed the latest
  4. Yes, I have uninstalled OBS Studio and re-installed the latest
  5. Yes, I tried launching OBS Studio as Admin
  6. Yes, I tried creating a new Scene with nothing in it but a basic Video Capture pointed at the Black Magic ATEM
  7. Yes, I went into to advanced settings for the camera and didn't see any other app that currently was using the ATEM

It just plain doesn't work, all I get when I choose the Black Magic ATEM is black nothing. I have tons of scene's and Stream Deck multi-actions, and hot keys all set up for OBS and it failed me at the absolute worst time today for a big customer video conference. I ended up having to use the Sony Imaging Edge web cam option, but couldn't use my other 3 cameras or any of my fancy scenes I spent tons of time setting up. EVERYTHING worked just fine last night and then the next day it quits RIGHT before the meeting.

Add to that list, completely uninstalling my Stream Deck software and OBS Webhooks, just in case. Also Windows Update, Several reboots, tried different USB ports (though again, ANY other app can use the ATEM web cam, no problem; it is only OBS having the problems. Oh, and there was a typo up above, I made sure that camera security was good (not web security), and I even toggled that ability just in case.

ChrisMChristian

First, this issue was between ATEM and OBS Studio...
Looks like it ended being a major USB issue. When I unplug all USB devices and plug in the ATEM first, I can then see it in OBS now. I even plugged it straight into one of my two USB-C ports (reluctantly) to make sure it has priority and enough speed. Where it was connected was a 10 port powered USB 3.1 hub. Everything was fine for days with 9 USB devices. That hub is plugged into a 5Gbps port and most everything is simple devices like keyboards, mice, BQ SW320 monitors (for weekly screen calibration and putting new hardware icc files on the monitors). I added Stream Deck about 2 weeks ago and all was fine. For some reason, some perfect storm order of initializing happened today, that perhaps got the ATEM a different place in the hub? What I don't understand is that I could see the BlackMagic device in the local Camera application crystal clear (AND at one point I plugged the ATEM directly into another USB A port (though not a 5Gbps one, vs the 10 port USB hub I have gets a 5Gbps port on my laptop). It was only OBS that couldn't use it.

?? Perhaps OBS is more demanding for the full fps and quality, and other apps are less demanding.
No clue, but my issue was a USB issue.

If you suspect a USB issue. Try to turn off/disable all USB ports, crank back up your ATEM and let it be the sole device to use USB. Also isolate it to a high speed USB port (preferrably a thunderbolt USB-C port). Then once you get OBS back to seeing your feed, start bringing back online your other USB devices one at a time.

other solutions that didn't work for me, but might for you (good troubleshooting info, is to see if you can see your webcam in another app or not before beginning):
  1. restart OBS after making sure all video capture sources are set to deactivate if not in use
  2. uninstall/reinstall the latest OBS and ATEM software (and stream deck and obs webhooks if you use those)
  3. run windows update and reboot if found any
  4. in your graphic settings (in Display Settings), make sure it is on Classic app and then browse for the OBS executable and set graphic specifications to "power saving"
  5. try removing all OBS scenes (back them up) and creating a single simple scene with a video capture source for the ATEM
  6. see if any other app is using the ATEM web camera (go to Settings | Privacy | Camera and see if any listed app says "currently in use" if so, kill the app)
  7. if you suspect #6 is lying and another app is actually using the webcam, use the free utility from Microsoft called "Process Explorer Search". First go to device manager and go to properties on your webcam, then Details, and choose the property "Physical Device Object name" and copy the value (this is the physical device object name for your ATEM). Switch back to the Process Explorer Search, and do a Find on a paste of the object name. It is possible that a local app has the webcam and even Microsoft's camera settings don't list it.
  8. Try another USB port/cable
  9. worst case, try what I did and turn off all USB ports, plug your ATEM into a high speed port all by itself, then check OBS to see if it is now happy with your ATEM feed, then bring the rest of your USB devices up one at a time.

I hope this helps someone else, because I did NOT see this solution any where else.

DeronL

I had the same problem after upgrading OBS to 26.1.1, not sure if that was the cause, however my feed from the ATEM mini was a black screen. It had worked previously, so I disconnected all USB’s except the USB C from the ATEM mini and restarted OBS, and I still had a blank screen from the ATEM in OBS. I then went into the ATEM properties in OBS and hit default settings and my picture appeared. So far so good, not sure what that did but it gave my picture back.

Jman98

I am having similar issue did you ever figure out a solution?

I remove the software, and do a clean install of 8.6.1 atem switchers. Then my extreme ISO still wont connect via USB to my PC. Windows 10 Pro. x64.

The only way I can get it to connect is by opening "Device Manager" and then I scroll down to "OTHER devices". I see Blackmagic design listed as unknown device. THEN, I right click and UPDAte driver. NOW, that makes it change from "Blackmagic Design" to " Atem Mini Extreme ISO". That is another strange thing I don't understand is that the Blackmagic design shows up under "Other devices" on the device manager of windows 10 Pro. I assumed it would show up under inputs and outputs and webcam. I can't even use it as audio device. It doesn't show up at all.

BUT, the problem is when I try to use it on ZOOM, it shows up as "nameless".

When I try to use on VMIX as camera input it shows up as "Unknown" and when I try to use it on OBS as camera capture it doesn't show up at all. I have tried multiple cords. different hubs, and directly plugging into laptop. No matter what I do, it never changes from nameless or unknown..

This has to be an error with drivers or software right? Or should I exchange my device?

ChainReaction

+1 for the issue. I have a new Dell 15” XPS 9500 fully speced out. USB-C to USB-C (computer to ATEM Mini Extreme ISO) it doesn’t show up with ATEM setup software. Tried data only cables, thunderbolt cables, 3.1, 3.0 - nothing. The ATEM Extreme has 2 USB-C ports on it labeled A and B.. Today on accident while testing I had a 3.1 USB-C cable plugged in to the USB-C A port and put another one in the USB-C B port. The software immediately recognized it on the laptop. As soon as I disconnected one of the cables it stopped recognizing it. If I have 2 USB-C cables plugged in to my laptop and ATEM it works. But I need one of those to record to a T5 drive. So frustrating.