Alerts for audio devices disconnected or not found.

lw88

Hi,

I just had a weird error trying to record some gameplay footage where my desktop audio device wasn't showing up.

The sequence was this - I opened OBS and tried to record, noticing I had no sound. When I checked audio sources I saw that desktop audio 2 was the only source other than my mic. However it was listed in red as not connected or recognised, but only when I saw it through options/audio. Along with this my original desktop audio source would not show in the mixer dock either despite being set to windows default. The desktop audio 2 worked after setting it to my default windows device, but desktop audio 1 still wouldnt show up despite being set to a device that is obviously working and recognised in OBS.

After I applied settings with desktop audio 2 working and reopened settings, I was able to swap the two around and find that desktop audio source 1 is now able to be used in both recordings and the mixer dock, where previously it just wouldn't work before disabling it and forcing desktop audio 2 to be the only source for my windows default device.

This is all without having changed any audio tracks on any devices either.

I suspect as I have a USB DAC/AMP (cambridge dacmagic plus if it matters for drivers or details) that I guess got disconnected at some point while OBS was open resulted in OBS not recognising the non existent device. But instead of alerting me to a non existent audio device or recognising that the device was plugged back in before even starting the program back up, the default behaviour appears to be that the source is simply listed in red as not recognised or connected, without showing this at a glance on the audio mixer.

My suggestion is this - please either list unrecognised, driverless, disconnected or otherwise muted or non-working audio devices with a different easily legible colour in the audio mixer dock, or allow an opt-in alert for when you start up the program to let you know of disconnected or unrecognised or non-working audio devices.

It would save much effort and goose chasing in trouble shooting audio device issues, as well as give a quick visual indicator of the device at fault in your visible work space.

Thank You

This is hugely important and I deal with it constantly.

If you put it in ideas.obsproject.com, let me know and I will vote for it!