Adding Subtitles to Live Video

NProv

Hi all. I am relatively new to OBS and I have a specific project that I could use some help with. I'd like to add subtitles to a live performance (singing in a foreign language, with English subtitles.) The subtitles would be created prior to the performance, and I would just advance them as the performance progresses.

I've experimented a little with using the Image Slide Show that is built into OBS, which would require me to make images of each line of subtitle and then manually play the slide show throughout the performance.

I've also experimented with using the Window Capture and PowerPoint presentation, but I can't seem to add the right view of the PowerPoint window to OBS. I also can't figure out how to advance the slides while keeping OBS open.

FYI, I'd like the subtitles to appear on the very bottom of the screen. A narrow black bar with text at the bottom of the screen would be great.

Does anyone have experience with this or know of a good way to achieve this? Thanks for reading!

twindux

I've used Powerpoint in a similar fashion as you described...
  • you need to display the PPT presentation in a window [set up slide show >> browsed by an individual (window)], then begin to play the presentation.
  • Go to OBS and capture the PPT window.
  • Then to advance the slides, you'll need to bring the PPT presentation window into focus and press whatever key you use to advance your slides...spacebar, arrow key, whatever you prefer. that's the key. If focus is on OBS you cannot advance the PPT slides unless you set up some kind of global hotkey on your Mac (not in OBS)
It works really well.

I also have used the Image Slide Show version....love that because I can use Indesign to create really beautiful titles....but that's just me!