Add Scene Source that automatically switches to the live (Program) scene

deetari

It would be handy to have a scene source that always showed the current live (Program) scene. It doesn't sound too complicated to do in theory, but I'm unsure how the scene source functions behind the scenes.

Note: Currently, when placing a scene source of the current scene inside itself, OBS already avoids recursively capturing the scene (it only captures it once), so I'd hope that type of recursive capture isn't a potential issue with this requested feature either.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Hmm, this might seem like a hacky workaround, but it should be a valid option:

1) Install the obs-ndi plugin
2) In Tools -> NDI, enable the Main Output
3) In the scene where you want the live program scene, add an NDI Source and point it to the Main Output NDI source
4) Voila!

Note: I'd recommend muting the NDI source once added to avoid audio cloning.

deetari

I've actually tried the NDI solution (thanks for suggesting it, by the way!), but it unfortunately still has ~100ms of latency (measured at 95 frames of delay with a 960fps slow-mo camera). This is more or less the same as using the VirtualCam plugin for this purpose, though it may require less system resources.

Scene sources, on the other hand, are basically lagless, which would be preferable for things like fighting games.

==

Note: My original comment about Scene sources ignoring the scene they're in is actually untrue. OBS just duplicates that scene to avoid the problem, so it's not quite as cut and dry as I hoped. I think it'd be fine for the Scene source to just black out if it points at itself, though, if that's a reasonable enough workaround.